Epoxy resin pump question

it seems like it takes forever for the pump to spring back to the top when I'm dispensing resin. The temperature in my basement is in the low 60's where I've got my epoxy mixing setup. The hardener pump springs right back up.

Is this just the viscosity of the resin at the ambient temperature? And would warming the resin have a significant impact on working time? 

5 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Epoxy resin pump question

I assume that you are using MAS Epoxy and the pumps that come with a CLC kit.  If so, it is the viscosity when working at that temp.  If you warm the epoxy by sitting it in a sink of warm water for a few minutes, the pump will work much better.  Warming the epoxy will cause it to kick off a little faster.  When wetting out fiberglass, you will want both the epoxy and your workspace warm.  Work with small batches. 

i ditched my pumps a boat or two ago. I use disposable plastic drinking cups. Using a syringe for measuring quantities and marking the level on the side. I have a few ready to go whenever I start.

I agree with Craig on the pump issue. I also gave up on them quite a few years ago, being a waste of resin/hardner and an enless source of hassle. If your doing a big project and mixing on a daily basis I can justify their use, otherwise it's best to mix in a graduated pot. I found a great one at US Composites. Their 8 oz. cups are polypropelene graduated in oz/ml and marked in red. If you happen to leave any residue at the bottom to harden, particularily with a wooden stirring stick, it shoud pop out the next day as an epoxy 'lollipop'. At $6.00 for a sleeve of 25 they may last some folks for years. Their resin prices are also quite reasonable...

I just checked out US Composites web site. I wish I had seen this before I started my Dory build! Several applicators that would have been really nice, they sell empty calking tubes!! That would have been great for laying down the fillets. Oh well, after I win the lottery and start my next boat build I will be ready!!   

I live in So Cal at the usual temps here are 75-90 and I have problems the that pump too. I use blue solo cups to measure now.

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.