Transforming a Pygmy kayak into a sit-on-top / surfski style kayak - Possible?

Hi all,  I won a Pygmy Osprey High Performance at the Chesapeake Maritime Museum auction a few months ago.  It's a performance oriented model with a 17-6 LOA and 22' width.  It's a beautiful boat, however, I enjoy more of the sit-on-top / surfski style kayak.  I paddle an Epic surfski.  I was wondering if it would be structurally possible to transform the kayak into a one of kind sit-on-top / surfski style kayak?  Keep and/or enhance it's speed while opening the cockpit into a open sit-on-top style for fitness paddling and racing.  Create a 17ft one of a kind surfski style wooden kayak.  Is that possible for the right builder?  Does CLC take on these type of project?  Any recommendations on who else might have the skills to take on the project?   

Thank you.

Darren
Tilghman Island, MD

8 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Transforming a Pygmy kayak into a sit-on-top / surfski style kayak - Possible?

This is and interesting topic.

First........... Pygmy Boats is a boat/kit builder from Port Townsend, Washington. They are a competitor of CLC boats. Although John might disagree about the competitor thing. The Osprey is one of the Pygmy line, however your dimensions are not on their listing for that model. Have you talked to Pygmy boats? They were at Canoecopia last year. The original designer would have the CNC dimensions and programs already on file for the orignal boat. 

Second.......If I won a surf ski and wanted to make a touring "sit in" out of it wouldn't you think that was strange?    

RE: Transforming a Pygmy kayak into a sit-on-top / surfski style kayak - Possible?

I fully understand who and where Pygmy is.  When asking the group for their thoughts on the feasibility of the concept I didn't realize that was going to be an issue. 

The Osprey High Performance model I have is no longer offered by Pygmy, thus it's not on their web site.

I'm in Maryland, so seem easier to work with CLC on a possible project.   

CLC already offers a sit-on-top model, so I thought I could leverage their knowledge while maintaining the essence and beauty of the wooden kayak. 

Yes, trying to change a carbon fiber surfski into a wooden kayak would be a little strange.

Darren

http://www.clcboats.com/forms/contact_us.html

Use customer service.

a kinder, gentler reply

Hi Darren, 

you ask a legitimate question and i would simply say, it has been done.....modifying a 'sea kayak' into a surfski.

the thread below discusses the modification of a pax20 kayak into a surf ski.

http://www.clcboats.com/forum/clcforum/thread/35342.html

there are other examples if you explore a little.

i think the question is, at the end of the day, is 1) is the Osprey Hull a good platform for the project?  and 2) is it worth the effort/time/cost?

in terms of somebody making the conversion for you, if it's not a do-it-yourself project, i suspect you might find an 'already a surfski' to be a less expensive way to get there.

happy to discuss further ....i am an experienced builder in MD.

h

Hey Darren,  Your post was not clear regarding whether you won a completed kayak or a yet-to-be built kit.  If the kit is not yet built, your proposed conversion would be much easier.  I have no doubt that an experienced builder with a flair for design could come up with a conversion that would be functional and look ok.  The Pax Surfski is an example of that.  It is also possible that the end result could end up uncomfortable, unsightly and odd handling.  If the boat is already built, it will be more complicated because you have to start out by cutting things up before you start building. 

In either case, I am sure that CLC would gladly sell you any supplies that you need but I doubt they have much basis to supply any technical support.  If you don't have the ability to make the conversion yourself, you could always commission a builder to do the work for you.  As Hspira suggests, that would likely be expensive and you would be better off selling this boat and buying a new ski.

A less radical modification might be to make the paddling experience a little more ski like.  First, if the boat has a small cockpit opening, I would open that up to something like 16"x30".  Next I would add a surfski style foot brace and raised seat.  These mods would be rather simple and would allow you to pump your legs and rotate just like on a ski.  Looks to me like the boat would fit in the USCA Sea Kayak classification for racing. 

Hi Darren

In the event you are still interested in this idea, I have some experience. I modified an already built Chesapeake 17 into an SOT. It took some work but it works and works well. I can provide pictures taken during the building process and of the finished product.

I built the Pax20 surfski. Was an interesting project.

im currently turning a OneOcean Storm into an open cockpit boat. I don't like the term SOT.

my wife is after a boat; so far she has tried a couple of skis but doesn't like the tippiness, has tried a sea kayak but doesn't like the enclosed cockpit.

we were paddling one morning and saw our first Mirage Freeride. A fast Mirage sea kayak with a surf ski like cockpit. This was my inspiration for the Storm build. 

Louz, would love to see some pics of your Ches. cheers

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.