Strange phenomenon

I’ve been working on my NW Dory kit since early November. My wife has been accepting of this but somewhat ambivalent. Not so happy about the cost of the kit, cost of the electricity to heat my garage and mostly not happy about her car having to sit out in the weather rather than snug in the garage.  This weekend I got all the seats built up and fitted in the boat, still tons of sanding to go but you can see what the finished boat is going to look like now. We were heading out for some shopping and I was showing her the progress and pointing out “Her” seat in the boat. Suddenly….it’s her boat. Not my boat anymore, its hers. She seems to be totally accepting now and looking forward to using it this summer. Praise God, it can totally be her boat. Just glad she is “on board” now!

10 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Strange phenomenon

Uh, Mike?

Just how long have you two been married?

With my spouse and I it's been 39 years - so far - and I learned early on her thinking could change 180° in less time than a knockdown can happen.

I'm glad for you that she's "on board" now yet skeptical that extends as far as helping any with the sanding or upkeep down the road....

'Course I been wrong before, just ask my wife!

Based on my experience, she will alternately love and hate you and your boat from now on.   

Met my wife while teaching a canoeing workshop. During lunch I learned she had built her own sea kayak, a CLC Chesapeake 16LT. Apparently not everyone is so lucky.
I still do things to make her smile though. She’s always thrilled when I scrape the ice off of her windshield. Maybe a good tactic, if you don't live in Florida!

Cheers,
ev

Make sure the first boating experience is a good one.

Named my dory the "Susan Lee." I never get any complaints about the expense of fitting out the boat in style.

Good Move! My wife has been less receptive to me painting "Sin Bin" on the transom of our CLC Teardrop.

I'll try naming my next boat "Susan Lee" but I don't think my wife Lois will understand.

How long have we been married you ask? 30 great years! In that 30 years how often has my wife changed her point of view on an issue…hmm let me see….once.  Ok that’s an obvious exaggeration but my wife does not flip flop around like a lot of gals. So this is pretty much a wonderful deal for me.     

When I was a teenager, my brothers built a Cocktail Class Racer they named "After You." I think it saved labor given the short duration of their affairs of the heart.

Glad that you have your wife on board now. Having the support means a lot!!!  I have been married for about 28 years and I have learned that you always need to have the Admiral "aka wife" on board with any project. I am building a PocketShip and she has been very supportive. She complains a little about me taking up the whole garage,  but for the most part is on board with what I am doing. She has her hobbies and I support them 100% and I expect it in return. 

I would say with any project get the significant other involved as soon as possible. I talked about the PocketShip for about 8-10 months before I made the move. 

I hope you enjoy your Dory build. I have defintely caught the boat buidling bug!!!! I am already thinging about othe builds! :-) 

"There is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats. Kenneth Grahame"

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.