Sea sock

Has anyone ever used a "sea sock"  for the interior of your kayak to prevent grip and dirt from damaging it?   I have one for my feather craft kayak but I've not seen one used for Chesapeake yet.   I don't know if it would even fit over the combing along with a spray skirt. 

11 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Sea sock

What are you talking about? 

Floor mats? Cags? SeaDek?  Foot wear? Sea anchors? (also called socks)

Grumpy what he's asking about is whether something like this:

http://www.kayakquixotica.com/2011/08/12/the-fantastical-sea-sock/

- exists for any CLC kayaks.

My guess is no, as what I found on-line appear to be for Feathercraft's line. Whether one could be adapted to one's choice of CLC craft would need careful scrutiny.

http://www.kayakquixotica.com/2011/08/12/the-fantastical-sea-sock/ 

Sure wish ediing posts could be enabled here... sigh.

Grumpy.

Your grump is showing. A quick google shows Sea Sock.

Cheers,

Dick

They've got to do something about the ick factor. It looks too much like a prolapse for me to ever want to sit in one.

If you glass work is up to par, a little grit and dirt won't damage your kayak besides a few scratches. I have a few kayaks that have bubbles in the glass that have collected a bit of sand under the glass. The Chesapeakes are easy to clean out. Just roll them upside down with the bow up and the stern down, and hose them out. Good luck, JRC.  

spclark and  DICKDOWDELL.........Thanks for the information......

Dick..............I really can't get my grump on.  I laughed so hard I had a coughing fit so much I had to leave the room.  I brough back a cold from cold country last week.

Sea sock for my CLC kayak?......to protect the cockpit finish.......?   I see from the articles it is to take the place of bulkheads and/or floatation bags first then perhaps dirt.  In my C - 17 I rinse my feet off upon entry and the dirt isn't so bad.  I paddle that thing over sand bars, limestone, oysters (ouch) , logs, and critters. It  has been scratched by roof rack cradles, outfitter canoe trailers and concrete ramps. I'm not worried so much over six square feet of cockpit area.

I used to provide comic relief during take out landings by tangling my feet up in the paddle leash and falling out into the water.  Y'all really want me to put my clumsy feet in a kayak condom?  Naw, ain't gonna happen.   (sorry grump came out)  

My greenland kayaking friend , Andy , tells me he had a sea sock back in '84 when he had a boat without bulkheads. He said the sock worked but was confining.  He also tested it during wet exits and rolls.     

I have a sea sock for my Feathercraft Kahuna and love it.  I never felt confined in it and if you dump it, very little water can enter the boat and makes it easy to pump out the little bit that does get in.  In the case of the Feathercraft, of course there are no bulkheads, so keeping the water confined to the area of the sea sock is a good safety feature.

I took same sea sock and tried to fit it on my 16' Chesapeake that I'm just finishing up.  It was too small but it is a size small.  So I went to order a size medium from Feathercraft and low and behold, they are out of business.  So sad because I adore my Feathercraft sea sock and want another one for my Chesapeake.  Oh well, I'll look around and see if anyone else makes them. 

I wish to add to my above post that it does fit fine on the coaming along with the spray skirt.  

I wish to add to my above post that it does fit fine on the coaming along with the spray skirt.  

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.