Finishing tip

I was just out sanding after the 2nd epoxy coat on my Dory. Apparently I was not as diligent as I thought I was last night and I found several rather large drips and runs in the finish, bummer. I was attempting to sand then down but was just not happy with how it was turning out. Then I made a very happy discovery. A cabinet scraper cut through the epoxy like butter and leave a nice flat surface. From now on I am going to lightly run the scraper over the entire surface before sanding. This will save tones of sandpaper and I am sure make a much smoother surface!

3 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Finishing tip

���I like to us a scraper, but I also like a coarse rat tail file for drips and runs in epoxy. It works well on convex curves like on the outside of the dory.

I used a cabinet scraper, too. But be sure to round the corners of the scraper with a file and even then be cautious when scraping. I put a substantial gouge in my epoxy with the corner of my scraper when I got a bit careless.   

Cabinet scrapers are really useful tools, whether used in a frame providing handles or just 'bare' by themselves. Trick comes when kearning how to sharpen them: file straight, true & 'square' then use a hardened burnisher to raise a wire edge on both sides. Whether large or small, that edge is what does the cutting!

Frames are designed to 'warp' the blade into a shallow curve, so that those corners aren't exposed. Freehanding a bare blade takes practice, you warp the blade with your thumbs to form the curve at the cutting edge.

Single-edge razor blades can be pressed into service too as 'disposable' scrapers needing no sharpening. Short-lived edge used this way but maybe all you need!

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.