oxford shell kit

I have been asked to assemble an oxford shell kit that has been stored for 11 years. I have done a fair amount of woodworking but have never worked with fiberglass. I have ordered a new epoxy kit and assembly manuals. I'd appreciate any advice from the stitch and glue pros.

7 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: oxford shell kit

Teoctom, contact me at [email protected] and I will be happy to help any way I can. Seeya Jack

The fiberglass isn't a really big deal. There is a fair amount of "hand-work" building the boat (no straight lines on a boat!) which takes some patience and work with planes and knifes, etc.  The stitch and glue forces the wood to assume the proper curves.  I built an oxford shell last summer, my first stitch and glue, and from my experience it is really important to be judicious with placement of fillets and epoxy.  It is a whole lot easier to take your time and put on a little epoxy, than to spend a lot of time trying to sand it off if you get too much on, and sanding through the epoxy into the fiberglass is a real downer. 

Overall it is a great project, the boat rows like a dream, and draws a lot of attention at the rowing club.

Good luck,

Where are all the pics of this shell???

To Fishbuster;

Sorry. No pics yet. I've only just started the project with some great help from jacknlin. I also appreciate the advice from raylash, who has assembled an oxford shell. The sides and bottom panels have been successfuly glued and sanded. I've made a batch of the cheap pvc clamps and the sawhorses recommended in the building tips. Next is the shear clamp gluing to the side panels. Thanks for the interest.

My oxford shell is almost complete. I have painted the cockpit but need to install the Piantedosi row wing mounting brackets. Can I epoxy these in place over the paint or do I need to sand the paint off?

You want to bond epoxy to epoxy to make it 'one'. You don't want paint or anything else inbetween that bond, or you wouldn't have a bond.

I have completed my oxford shell. I will try to post pictures soon. It is the same as seen in the CLC gallery on their catalog site. White hull and cockpit with varnished deck. I thoroughly enjoyed the experience and the great help from Jacknlin, raylash and fishbuster. The CLC Tips for boatbuilders was also quite helpful. I have never rowed a shell and am apprehensive about my first launch. I practiced using the Piantedosi row wing in my canoe and will try to develope the rythym better before my attempt in the shell. I'm 62 yrs old, 50+ lbs overweight and four years post triple bypass surgery so I need to be careful.

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.