Autumn Leaves Plans

Hi all,

I recently downloaded the complete plans for Autumn Leaves. What a pleasure they are! So far, they have provided me with hours of pleasure at less than the cost of taking my wife out to dinner. There are sufficient details to keep any boat building addict happy just trying to visualize constructiing the real thing.

I'm 70 years old and planning to retire in a few years so I can devote more time to boating. I continue to enjoy my Peeler Skiff, About Time, but I guess sailing is in my blood. Autumn Leaves is now my favorite design because it's not only beautiful and meets my usage requirements, it is also well within my means and skillset (though I will have someone else make the sails). God willing, it will be my next project.

Happy Holidays,

Dick

6 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Autumn Leaves Plans

I love to look of Autumn Leaves as well. If only she was big enough for 2, the single occupancy is a serious no go for me. I have just developed a new pipe dream for my retirement someday. I saw an add in Wooden Boat Magazine for cursing the Columbia river. If Autumn Leaves was expanded into a 2 person boat, that would make a great platform for a mufti-day river cruse.

Mike,

21 years ago I sold my Pacific Seacraft Flicka, Chloe, when my new bride refused to go aboard. Autumn Leaves's single berth is all I need. I will admid that in all the years I owned Chloe, I rarely used more than one berth. Normally, my longer voyages were single-handed. Might have had something to do with my snoring. I mostly used the extra berths when I had crew for the Newport to Block Island Race, which was only twice a year.

I think that John's comments about extra berths not often being used is right on the money. Autumn Leaves has taken Phil Bolger's ideas to a new and elegant level. I've been wondering if a rudder-mounted electric motor a la Sam Devlin's Nancy's China DC might work on her. The new-style flat batteries might replace the lead ballast.

Cheers,

Dick

Mike,

It occurs to me that the lines and construction of Autumn Leaves could enable it be scaled up using only a calculator. The scantlings are probably sufficient for a boat 2 or 3 feet longer though, unless you're a naval architect or engineer, you might have to get some help calculating displacement and ballast.

Regards,

Dick

Last summer I stumbled on this

http://yachtee.blogspot.co.uk/2016/09/canoe-yawl-autumn-leaves-update.html

In this blog John shows a drawing for a 21' version of the Autumn Leaves. He also states that he will not finish this design unless someone commissions him to. Well if by the time I am ready to retire no one has done this I might consider it. Still a good 10 years til retirement....:(

I have and also love the AL plans. But, if you scale up this boat you have a Bolger AS-29. That's what attracted me to this design. I have the AS-29 plans but it is too much boat for me.

I know that John was inspired by Bolger's designs, but I don't think the AS-29 comes even close to the class of Autumn Leaves. Sorry, I disagree.   

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.