Peeler Skiff - Kit or Do-It-Yourself?

Hi,

Great forum. I've just ordered the manual to see if I think I could build a Peeler, and after reading through a lot of the posts in the forum, which are extremely helpful, it seems like very few builders, if any, elected to build from scratch. Is there anyone out there who did not order the kit and completed a peeler? If so, I'd love to hear how that went. I'd also like to know why people seem to go the kit route.

Thanks,

Jon

5 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Peeler Skiff - Kit or Do-It-Yourself?

Jon,

I believe that I'm now ready to scratch build my next stitch-and-glue boat from plans---now that I've built a Peeler Skiff from the (very good) CLC kit. I do not think that I would have been before that experience. Things make more sense after you've been through the process. The combination of the manual and the kit can save a lot of mistakes, rework, and stress---and I had built a traditional Amesbury Skiff before.

The kit provides top-quality materials, cut to exact dimensions. Unless you are really pinching pennies, a CLC kit is the way to go. I suspect that many first-time plans builders make enough mistakes to offset any real savings and I definitely do not recommend substandard materials, not when so much of your time and, eventually, safety are at stake.

Cheers,

Dick

Thanks, Dick. Since your reply I received and looked over the manual. After seeing what would go into the purchasing and cutting of wood, what you recommend about buying the kit makes sense. Since I've never built a boat, it probably makes even more sense. Like you, I think if I succeeded in completing a Peeler using a kit, I'd have the confidence to go from scratch on a second boat, which in some ways might be more rewarding from a builder's viewpoint. -Also, I saw the pics of About Time. Very nice! And I like your philosophy of utility being a thing of beauty in and of itself.   

On the flip side of that coin, the Peeler has one of the more simple hull forms CLC produces, so would be one of the easiest boats to build from plans.  My very first boat was an Eastport Pram from plans and I get stopped at the lake by at least three people every time I go out.  When I tell them it wasn't from a kit, there's an additional "Wow!" factor.  If you're handy, I would recommend building from plans for the challenge and the satisfaction.  If not as much, then there's definitely an insurance policy built into the kits, which is a nice way to ensure you end up with an awesome boat, which gives you the same amount of satisfaction.

I built my NE dory from plans and enjoyed the process and pride in creating a vessel from scratch. I've had a career in home remodeling and didn't find the cutting of parts complex other than setting up to rabbet the planks. It probably added a couple of weeks to the build. I too have to talk, and pose for photos, with admirers pretty much each time she goes out sailing. I'd say if you want to build from plans and can follow directions, which were good, go for it. I probably saved some over buying the kit but that wasn't the motivation. 

I cannot argue with the comments of the scratch builders. But I was new to stitch-and-glue construction and having parts that I knew had been cut to close tolerances removed one area of concern when I was stitching pieces together. Now that I've been through a complete build, I think I would recognize a mis-measured or mis-cut part and take corrective action --- or understand how to tighten or loosen wires to adjust fit --- or understand when an issue was important or could be ignored.

Before I had built my Peeler, I wouldn't have easily understood what had gone wrong or what could be done to fix it. Now I have a feel for the process and the materials. I didn't when I started.

I haul grandchildren on saltwater in my boat --- failure is not an option.

Cheers,

Dick

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.