Wood duck 12 hybrid.

Hello everyone. I'm a 1st time builder and have chosen the Wood duck 12 Hybrid. I chose a hybrid because I wanted to use a stitch and glue and a strip build method. I ordered the plans and manual a few weeks ago and have been reading them and watching some of the videos on this site in preparation to start building.  I have a coupleof questions that I'm hoping to get some feedback on.

1 - what material are builders using for the deck forms? In the manual it states to use 1/2" particle board and in one of the videos for strip building it states to use 1/2" mdf.

I hate particle board and mdf is nasty to cut and process. (tons of dust) Is anyone using 1/2" plywood? It would seem to be a friendlier product.

2 - In the manual it recommends to not cut the individual parts out of the plans as some discreptancy might be created when tracing the pattern. The recommended manner to transfer the pattern is by using an awl.

In the video it shows the pattern pieces for the deck forms being cut out and glued to the form material prior to being precisely cutout. This method looks like the easiet and most foolproof way. I'm assumming this method is only being used on the deck forms and the "awl method" is to be used on the s & g parts?

How are others doing this?

Thanks in advance.

Schooner Dave

6 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Wood duck 12 hybrid.

Hi Dave,

My thoughts-

#1- MDF sure is nice for this application as it's a solid product and will result in a nice smooth, solid edge. The voids you're likely to encounter - especially in 1/2" ply- could make things tricky, especially if you intend to staple strips to the forms. Particle board sounds like a nightmare. I have used plywood in the past, but it was  a case where I was comfortable using 3/4". I've discovered that 1/2" MDF can be tricky to find. I leave it to others to comment as to whether thicker stock in this situation would cause problems- I'm guessing it well might.

#2- This sounds right. Form pieces are pretty compact and the glue-down method is simple. With long hull pieces it'd be very easy to introduce a wrinkle or bend while gluing down the paper that would translate to big problems when trying to stitch things up. The awl method is tedious but simple and produces good results.

This might be your first build but I'm willing to bet it won't be your last. Never a bad idea to stick with the manual the first time out and then deviate based on your experience with sebsequent builds.

Good luck!

Patrick

Thanks Patrick.

Howdy Dave, 

I used a Serrated tracing wheel normaly used for cloth patterns. Taped the drawings to the wood then slowly went over it with the wheel. Lifted the pattern off the wood and traced it with a pencil. worked well for me.

R/

Duffy

Thanks for your input.

schooner

My end pours were very very thickened epoxy, beyond peanut butter. They did not pour at all but had to be spackled and mushed into the ends. With more filler and less epoxy - less heat was generated.

The idea of a bucket of water (does not have to be ice water) is also good because water conducts heat 10 times better than air. This should also protect your outside finish very well by pulling any exess heat away from the finish.

Joel

My end pours were very very thickened epoxy, beyond peanut butter. They did not pour at all but had to be spackled and mushed into the ends. With more filler and less epoxy - less heat was generated.

The idea of a bucket of water (does not have to be ice water) is also good because water conducts heat 10 times better than air. This should also protect your outside finish very well by pulling any exess heat away from the finish.

Joel

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.