Different plywood thicknesses noticed after scarfing.

So, I went through all the work preparing the scarf joint on 9mm plywood.  After glueing with epoxy it is now very apparent that the 2 sheet of plywood differ in thickness. One is 9mm and the other closer to 8mm. One side of the joint is prefectly aligned and level, but the bottom side of the joint is ~1mm higher.  What can I do to fix it? 

I'm hoping I don't have to take it apart and buy another board.  Can I plain/sand this down at a gradual slope (maybe 3-6in) to make them match at the joint? or will this cause a problem with the hull?  It's the bottom hull piece of the Jimmy Skiff. I plan to paint the bottom of the hull anyhow, so the look of varying grains wouldn't be a problem. 

I wish I had notice the difference in thicknesses before I had scarfed and cut them.

Thanks,
Dave

2 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Different plywood thicknesses noticed after scarfing.

I wouldn't sand it down, if it's on the bottom I'd just build the low area with a fairing compound like microballoons and once it's glassed nobody but you will ever know the difference. 

George K

RE: Different plywood thicknesses noticed after scarfing.

Bummer!!

Still, you acquired a useful skill in the doing of those scarfs. I'd count the endeavor as a success despite the uneven surfaces.

As GeorgeK suggests use fairing compound to even things up, don't look back. With veneer ply chances are too good that high layer's gonna sand thru when you try to sand it away.

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.