Petrel play rear bulkhead location

The Petrel Play has a recessed cockpit that is about 1" lower than the deck rear deck. The bulkhead included with the kit is sized to fit under the deck at full height, not right at the back of the cockpit.

If I install it where the deck is highest, this puts the bulkhead 3" back from the rear of the cockpit (where the cockpit recess begins). It seems wrong to have the backband mounts that far back.

The pics I have found seem to show the bulkhead very close to back edge of the cockpit, more like 1/2" back.

To mount it 1/2" back, would require removing 1" of material where in contacts the back edge of the cockpit, and  then slope the cut upward to full height on either side of the cockpit.

The manual makes no mention of modifying the bulkhead this much, only saying to round the corners where the fillets interfere.....But again, the manual is for a different boat, so I dont know how different the two boats are.

Has anyone built this?

Got any Pics of the bulkhead modified or installed?

5 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Petrel play rear bulkhead location

Forgot to mention that it seems like the piece would be pre-cut closer the correct shape if it were intended to be installed closer to the cockpit.

When I built mine, I had the same quandry.  I ended up mounting the BH where it fit, just aft of the recess where the deck is full height.  I did not have to alter the BH for a good fit.  I suspect that the pictures in the manual where taken on an early prototype and they subsequantly modified the BH.  

The back band mounts will not be a problem.  Instead of putting them on the BH, mount them under the aft lip of the cockpit with small screws up into the coaming spacer.  They do not have to be very strong because the aft mounts just hold the back band up with bungie cord.

Thanks Mark,

Funny though, as one of the pics I was looking at was from your google album. It must be an illusion because in this pic the BH looks really close to the cockpit:

Definately an illusion in that pict.  Here are a couple more that show the BH mounted just aft of the recess.  I misspoke in the above post about where I put my back band mounts.  They are on the BH on this boat.  On others, I have screwed into the coaming as decribed above.  On the PP, the coaming spacers are quite narrow so that is probably why I went to the BH.

not sure why the picts disappeared.  Trying again

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.