painting

After I paint the hull I will want to tape off the hull before I varnish the deck. Do I have to let the paint cure for a few days before I can put tape on the hull paint to protect it from the varnish?

Mike

6 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: painting

I asked Interlux, the answer is 7 to 10 days.

Mike   

another approach is to varnish first, then paint.

there are a couple advantages....

1) you can tape off varnish after a day.  it is much more durable than paint.

2) it;s a lot easier to clean a misplaced splash of paint off of varnish than the other way around.

3) you can actually paint over varnish....varnish never looks good if it is on top of paint.  depending on how you are painting your 'hull'...this can be a big advanage especially if your paint approach it to roll the paint up say an inch onto the deck all the way around.  in this case you varnish to the chine, then tape off the deck with the one inch margin....and now you can paint the margin and the hull....looks very slick.

h

Thanks Hspira, I assisted on a strip canoe build 8 years ago and the builder used clear polythane CP-500  for the finish. He has not touched it since and it loooks just like the day he put it on. I plan to use it on my deck. If I get any on areas I want to paint, paint will not stick so I want to paint first. It is a two part mix, mix it, wait 30 minutes and it has a pot life of 24 hours. You do need to wear a respirator. I can put coats on 3 hours apart but I must let it sit for a week before I use the boat.

Mike

Does CP-500 provide UV protection like varnish?

Doug, polythane does provide UV protection. i used it on my kayak deck and inside the cockpit. It will provide UV protection inside the cockpit and it wears well. It will stand up to abrasion better than epoxy. You can see the specs here http://preservo.com/techspecs.asp scroll down to polythane cp500 (number 21) you can also call the company and talk to Pam Clark, she has been there for at least ten years and she knows her products. When I was working on my boat she gave me her cell number so I could call with questions. You will need a respirator, you should not work around an open flame. The bad fumes will be gone within two hours but you do need to give it a week before you strap the boat on your car etc. A friend of mine found the product at a south Pacific resort. The finish on the sea side deck had beach sand all over it and the finish looked great. He asked the owner what he used to keep his wooden deck looking like new. He came back to the US and ordered it for his cedar strip canoe.

Mike

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.