Rudder on Mill Creek 16.5

I am just starting to build a Mill Creek 16.5, my first boat building project in many years. I plan on mostly paddling this as a single but on occasions will have a second paddler. For paddling as a single I will need a seat midships  with the ability to move the seat back when used as a double. Should be simple enough but what do people do in this situation when they want to use a rudder? It does not seem like the rudder footpegs can be installed such that they can be used from either position. Is there a way to install the footpegs so they can be moved to two different places? I would be using  the Feathercraft rudder either by itself or with something like the Toe-Pilot.

Thanks, Steve

6 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Rudder on Mill Creek 16.5

If it were me, I would install a set of foot braces in each the aft and center seating position.  Since most of your paddling is solo, the center position would be rigged most of the time.  On those occasions that you will be sitting in the aft position, you would have to re-rig it so that those foot braces are active.  With the open cockpit of the MC, you have easy access to the braces so it should be pretty easy to re-rig. 

To make it easier to re-rig, I would suggest that you add the Cool Rudder Wedgie Kit (sold here) and use 1.7mm Dyneema Rope (available from Stellar Kayaks).  The wedgie kit makes adjustmet at the rudder very easy and the rope is much easier to work with than the metal cable.  Dyneema is used on most/many racing boats and is very tough.  I have nearly 500 miles with it on my Wahoo and have had no issues.

As for rudder/footbrace choice, I am a big fan of Smart Track rudder with Toe Pilot controls.  Stellar uses the Smart Track Rudder on its race boats with overstern rudder because it is low drag.

Th bigger question is whether or not you really need a rudder for the MC 16.5.  I do not know your experience level, but you really steer a kayak with your paddle and feet (bracing).  Rudders are really only for minor course corrections.  We have a rudder on our 18.5' Shearwater Double and we actually find the boat to be more manueverable with the rudder retracted.  Of course, it is nice to have the rudder in open waters when the wind is pushing from one side.  Unless you will be doing a lot of open water paddling, I suggest ssaving some money and compexity by not installing a rudder.  If you find that you need one after paddling the boat for a while, you can easily add one later.

I agree with mark I had a mill creek 16.5 and there's no need for a rudderand I can think of a few reasons not to add one/ cost /labor/prevents rentry from stern/extra drag/something more to break. Even with a novice in the front it's easy to steer from the stern.unless the kayak suffers from a designe flaw (which the mc does not)the only use for a rudder is to counteract strong, prolonged crosswinds.spend that extra time carving out a good foam seat

I agree on the seat.

Thanks for the informative replies. I have been away for paddling for more than ten years and I want to build a boat that is comfier for my older, creakier self. I have the plans and wood for a MC 16.5 that I never built so I thought it might fit the bill. In the past I used a CLC Chespeake that had a skeg, have never really used a rudder. My wife has never done much paddling but has expressed interest in paddling with me in the MC. That is why I am considering the rudder, for paddling with my inexperienced wife and to have available in weathercocking conditions.  Some of the few accounts of paddling the MC I found recommended a rudder, that is why I was considering it as an option. I think the best suggestion is to start without and see how it goes. Thanks again for the help.

My second thought on this is, "Why change positions?"   

1. Of our sea kayak group there is one guy that bought a tandem kayak, then she left. So he paddles the tandem solo from the rear seat..  He's pushing mid 50s and still makes that thing move well.

2. My canoe kayak club has some solo canoe paddlers (2) that paddle solo from the rear seat. They just fill a 5 gallon (40#) jug with river water and place it in the front of the boat.  Then they paddle with 9 ft double bladed canoe paddles. They are level 3 paddlers and can maintain a 3 mph pace.

So why not paddle the MC from the rear seat?  Put balast up front if required and install rudder pedals in the rear seat position only.  This woulld be simple comparied to two positions.

3. Hobies don't use rudder pedals they use a lever.  So you could too, as a trim tab and only make trim adjustments not live rudder control. Such a rig would need postion click lock similar to P&H skeg controls.

The real problem is the boat likely has tracking ability but people just aren't  paddling fast enough.

What a coincidence!  I'm expecting delivery of my MC 16.5 hybrid this week. I also have been contemplating adding a rudder. Most of the time my wife and I will paddle together with occasional solo trips.

This is my 1st full size project.I have built a few of the Independence model sailboats and am a very accomplished scale model aircraft builder.

Sorry, I'm inadvertently high jacking your post...

Thanks,

Steve

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.