Peeler Skiff side panel alignment

I am stitching the side panels on my Peeler Skiff to the bottom of the boat.  I've discovered that I can't have both the bow and the stern of the side panel line up exactly with the bottom.  I decided to line up the pre-dilled holes for the stitches so that they are directly opposite each other (on the side and bottom).  The resutl is that the stern ends are almost perfectly aligned but the bow end is about a half-inch shy of meeting the bottom.  Any suggestions?  Thanks in advance!

art

6 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Peeler Skiff side panel alignment

Art,

I'm not sure what you mean. Could you send pictures? When we built my Peeler, the sides lined up pretty well. Do you have the bottom supported mainly at the ends so it can sag a little in the middle?

Cheers,

Dick

http://cumulus.aunt-mary.net/images/peeler/

Dick,

Thanks so much for your reply-you saved the day.  I live in Florida and do not have a basement or a garage.  In order to build my boat I've put up a canopy that I closed in on all sides.  I built a lare work station with three enormous saw horses (10" wide by 7' long by 4' high) that support 4 sheets of 3/4 " ply.  It enabled me to lay out multiple pieces at one time to work on.  At this stage I've removed the ply wood but I still have the three saw horses supporting the boat. When I read your comment about the boat needing to sag in the middle it all made sense.  I've pulled the middle saw horse and everything is aligning well.  Thanks so much for taking the time to reply- I deeply appreciate it!  

art

Art,

You're very welcome! I'm glad everything worked out. The Peeler Skiff is a great boat and I really enjoyed building it, not to mentionI using it out on Narragansett Bay in RI.

Regards,

Dick

Dear Dick,

I noticed in one of your previous posts that one of your reasons for building the peeler is to teach your grandkids about handling a boat.  As we have a couple of very active granddaughters that's part of my motivation as well.  I really like your idea of putting a piece of stainless on the bow-I'll be following your lead on that.  I do have one question for you- how does the Peeler handle in a chop?  This will be my first time owning a flat bottom craft so I'm very interested in hearing how she fares if it kicks up a bit.  

art

Art,

A lot of factors affect the way a boat handles rough water. I use About Time in saltwater in Narragansett Bay and along the southern coast of Massachusetts. I chose a 9 HP Yamaha because I do not enjoy trading comfort for speed and at below-planing speeds the range is phenomenal. I carry two three-gallon fuel tanks and have never come close to needing both. The Peeler Skiff has considerable reserve bouyancy and a beautifully high bow. I've never felt threatened by chop, wakes, or swells. I usually operate with 3 adults and 1 teenager, plus our gear.

The boat's only downside is that with its considerable beam it would take 9-9.5 foot oars if you want backup power. With the Yamaha, I don't worry too much as long as I have fuel. That considerable beam does provide excellent stability. I weigh over 220 pounds and the boat is not the least bit "tippy". It's also a fine casting and fishing platform. If you want to swim from the boat, I'd recommend permanently mounting a folding ladder on the transom (as long as you don't limit motor movement).

Trim is important for comfort in any flat-bottomed boat. Bow in the air and stern in a hole is not conducive to a comfortable ride. I'm installing a center console (http://www.boaterscatalog.com/item--Center-Console-23-Inch-High-SLCC01--cm_sl01) so that I can sit at the forward edge of the cockpit seats when I'm operating alone and thus better distribute the weight. Otherwise, I use grandsons (ages 13-25) as ballast in the bow. I'm 70 years old, so the CLC console, though well-designed, is too tall for my taste. I don't enjoy standing for long periods.

I bought the stainless half-round online from McMaster-Carr. It was "Multipurpose 304 Stainless Steel Half-Round, 1/2" Diameter, 3' Long" and fit perfectly. Drill the holes for the bow-eye with a drill press before you epoxy it in place and save yourself some time. I had to do it with a hand drill after I'd fiberglassed and painted. Not too bright.

When I was a boy in the 1950's, there were hundreds of wooden flat-bottomed "quahog" skiffs from 16 to 20 feet as versatile workboats in Narragansett Bay. I was thrilled when John Harris designed the Peeler Skiff which is very much a modern refinement of the type. With common sense and competent seamanship, they always brought you home.

Cheers,
Dick

Art,k 

If you wish to swap email addresses, use this Builders Club link to contact me. I have more detailed information about reinforcing the Peeler bow and other Peeler construction tips.

Cheers,

Dick

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.