Peeler bulkhead tape

I am about to begin the process of putting down the thick fillets over the small tack welds on the bulkheads and sides of my peeler skiff.  The large fillets will be covered with the fiberglass tape before the fillets dry, and then coated in unthickened epoxy.  My question is, do I wait for the fillets to dry before applying the unthickened epoxy to the tape, or do It all at the same time?

3 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Peeler bulkhead tape

Long Ben Silver,

When we built my Peeler Skiff, we waited until the epoxy had set before filling the weave of the tape with more epoxy. Also, epoxy easily sags and runs so, in my opinion, 2 thin coats are better than trying to apply one thisk coat to fill the weave. The MAS epoxy in the CLC kit is very forgiving because it doesn't blush and gives you plenty of time between coats without having to sand for better adhesion. The only sanding between coats of epoxy we did was to smooth and/or repair blemishes.

We learned that neatness counts. Rushing and being sloppy just means more work filling and sanding later.

Have fun,

Dick

http://cumulus.aunt-mary.net/images/peeler/

You don't have to wait until the fillet is completely cured but it's best to wait an hour or two so it won't move much when the tape is applied. Since the tape is relatively heavy it helps to use a 2" brush to apply unthickened epoxy along the seam before putting down the tape. I fold the tape lengthwise to help get it neat. When it's where you want it, paint more epoxy over the tape.

When doing the inside of the bow and along the transom, it's best to start with a thin bead of "peanut butter" and work it into the seam to avoid any pockets. I use tounge depressors to work it into the back of the seam and then build the fillet up from there. This helps lessen the chance of voids.

With the Peeler you don't have to do this all in a marathon session. You can do the forward, center and stern section as time allows.

Ambassador,

A little followup. We applied the tape over the fillets bedore the fillets had set. It is all too easy to mess up the wood putty (epoxy + wood flour) when adding the tape.

In retrospect, I would mask both edges of the fillets and remove the masking tape after the wood putty has set, but before it gets too hard. A smooth clean edge to the fillets woill make applying the tape easier and reduce the amount of sanding needed before finishing.

Cheers,

Dick

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.