Fiberglass didn't cure

I had a complete fiberglass fail on a Sasafrass 16 when covering the exterior. I'm sure the issue was the mixing or ratio of resin/hardner. The uncured sections (after a few days) I have ripped off. There are some cured sections that will not pull up. Can I just clean up the sections where I've removed the failed fabric and then put a new sheet of fiberglass over the whole thing? This is a family project so I'm not going for perfection of finish - I'd just like to correct the error in a way that isn't going to create problems for years to come. 

4 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Fiberglass didn't cure

A heat gun will remove the cured sections, check out Nick Schade's video on youtube.

You could also sand and feather the edges and lay glass over the cured areas, but it will be a lump that would need to be faired out if you want a smooth finish.

Its not that much more work to remove the glass with heat gun.

Others with more experience may weigh in, but I'd remove the suspect glass to ensure hull strength and integrity. You should be able to soften it with a heat gun and peel it up with a putty knife. If it was cured in some places and not others, instead of wrong ratio (are you using pumps?), it could have been inadequately mixed. 

It could have been inadequately mixed. The pump stroke could have been too fast and ultimately short stroked. You might have the wrong pump.  It could be totally something else. Have you contacted customer service with the manufacturer? 

Thanks for the video suggestion and the heat gun tip. I'll go the heat gun route.  I'm sure it was a ratio or mixing issue. We had no problem with the epoxy on the interior fiberglass. I let my son pump and mix and I should have given more oversight but he was excited to do it on his own. 

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.