NE dory rigging

i am planning to add blocks to the mast thwart to lead the lines aft so I can more easily raise sail, reef, adjust downhaul and lazy jacks. The mast often is very snug in the step when I pull it out and I am concerned pulling it downward with, especially the halyard will jam it in. My thought is to add a ring of small pieces of wood to the mast just above where it sits in the thwart. Has anyone tried this or found another way to keep the mast from getting jammed?   Barry

7 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: NE dory rigging

Plane the mast so it's loose.

Laszlo

Or else touch up the opening of the mast step with a file.

If the mast is loose, the down load will be on the boat bottom. Is that ok?  I suppose the load is only from the lines I'm planning to attach to the thwart. 

Barry,

Here is my arrangement:  From port to starboard:

Black line:  Aft downhaul 
White line: Fore boom downhaul
Green line:  Halyard
White line:  Lazy jack tensioner.

Photo:

And here is a view of the mast top showing an alternative to a standard halyard arrangement that keeps the boom from playing out, and keeps it close to the mast.

Also can see the lazy jacks and lazy jack halyard

Curt

>>If the mast is loose, the down load will be on the boat bottom. Is that ok?  I suppose the load is only from the lines I'm planning to attach to the thwart.

Yes, that's fine. The bottom is already strong enough to take the entire weight of the mast, boom, sail, etc., as well as the force generated by the stays. The only additional downward force you'll have will be equivalent to the weight of the stuff you're raising.

Not only is the wood plenty strong, but the water will be supporting the area under the mast, too.

Laszlo

Thanks all. I'll get needed clearance at the mast step. Curt, your first photo didn't seem to make it on the forum but I like the solution for keeping the yard near the mast. I have a short line I run around the mast. Does it still work when reeled?   Barry

Barry...yes it does work even when reefed.  I was a nay-sayer that it would work but Chuck at Duckworks.bbs convinced me to try it and it's amazing how it self centers itself regardless of how much reef is in the sail or how far forward or aft you have the downhauls set (I have dual downhauls...another "chuckism", as is the lazy jack line methods.)

Hope this works:

And here is what I hope gets you to my entire photo build album:

https://picasaweb.google.com/114717787929554738224/BuildingWoodenBoatCLCNortheasterDory?authuser=0&authkey=Gv1sRgCKCBzczm_aKs2wE&feat=directlink

Photo:

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.