Transfer Dimensional Drawing

I have the PDF preview of plans for the Chesapeake 16. It says dimensional drawings are on 24 x 36 inch paper, and have to be transferred to the plywood. Exactly what does that mean? Transferred how?

1. Is there a 36" drawing of a front side that then has to be drawn and scaled up to 8ft on the plywood?

2. Or is it a series of 36" drawings that are placed end-to-end to make an 8ft side?

If this was all straight lines and defined angles, I see how it could easily be scaled up or down. But with multiple curved edges that have to meet, how is it done?

I'm missing something important. What is it?

Thanks

4 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Transfer Dimensional Drawing

Lofting is a fairly straightforwd process when working with plywood and stitch and glue methods but it can be a fairly long process to explain so I'll take the easy way out and give you a link.  

http://www.diy-wood-boat.com/Lofting.html

If you are intending to build from plans you'll also get a build manual which also explains the process but like all measuring it all starts with a long straight line. I've built two CLC boats from plans and if I can do it, anyone can.  

Have fun!

Thanks. That site was a good start. The fog begins to clear.

Do the CLC plans include offset tables?

Both the CLC plans for my Skerry and Chesapeake 17LT have a scaled drawing of the respective panels. This is in effect a table of offsets. If you draw a straight line, mark of the stations, usually 10, then make marks at the correct distances away from the original straight line you'll get the basic shape of the panel. The Ches 17LT had full size drawings of the bow and stern sections of the bottom panels so it was a simple matter to copy them onto the plywood.

I cheat a bit. Using the scaled plan drawings I draw full size panels on AutoCad, get them printed off and lay them on the plywood panels. A few years ago I bought a couple of 15 foot lenghts of carbon paper from Glen_L boats and with these underneath the paper drawing it's a simple matter to carefully draw round the printed line if the paper is kept taut. . Both boats came together OK! One thing to remember is that Stitch and Glue is quite a forgiving method of building if the panels are not cut perfectly. As well as making a great glue, epoxy fills gaps remarkably well!

The Chesapeake 16 plans need no lofting. They are a mix of full-sized and scaled drawings. All the panels are fully developed. CLC has pre-lofted them for you, so all you have to do is transfer the dimensions to a flat piece of wood.

For the scaled parts you do as Yambo says -  mark off the stations and mark the points based on the dimensions given on the drawing. If you connect the points using a long batten, that will guarantee that the lines are fair.

You never have to derive a 3D shape from a 2D projection. That's all been done for you by CLC's friendly computers and designers.

Good luck,

Laszlo

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.