Kayak for big guy

I am a woodworker of sorts.  So I am drawn to these kayaks.  I have never been in a kayak, I am 6'3" at 270lbs.  My only good choice seems to be wood duck 14 or chesapeake 18.  I really would like to try these before trying to build one. 

I want stability, don't really want SOT version, Any suggestions?

7 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Kayak for big guy

I agree it is nice to try out kayaks before you build/buy. You may want to say where you live to see if someone near you has such kayaks you can try. You might also try kayak rentals, if any, near you to be able to try some different size kayaks out.

I am in the Baltimore area, so I am close to CLC.  I know they have days they let people try them out.  But usually early summer.

They have a class end of Oct. to build a wood duck, so I am considering.   

CLC has kayak demos scheduled in Annapolis both later this month and in Sept.  Click on the News & Events tab above.  Make sure you tell them what kayaks you are interested in.

Just a word on the Wood Duck 14; it's worked well for this tall guy (6'6"). My concern when picking out a boat to build was how my size 14 shoe was going to fit. No problem with the WD 14. I documented my build, with a few hints, on my website WorkBenchInk.com.

I tested some CLC boats last summer at the WoodenBoat Show in Connecticut. It's at the end of June this year.

http://www.clcboats.com/boatbuilding_classes/459.html?jm=1

May 19 and 20...............

Stability..................do you remember learning to ride a bicycle?  Kayak stability is like that. Wobbly at first then better as you get experience.

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.