Chesapeake size and feasability

Hello all. I've been following along on the forums for some time now... I'm very much in love with the idea of building my own wooden kayak and have a couple of questions I'd like to hear others weigh in on.

First off is boat selection.. I'm primarily interested in some paddling on inland lakes (Adriondacks), possibly some shorter camping expeditions, and an occassional jaunt out on a few of the great lakes (Huron and Erie).

I'm a larger build (6' 1" - 185-195 lbs), shoe size 12.

With that information, I'm looking at the Chesapeake 17s and am leaning towards the LT. Any comments on that boat for my size and the needs described above?

Second line of questions relate to the actual build process. How hard is it to get a decent quality boat out of the project? I have zero boat building experience but have done framing and rough carpentry work (yes, I realize... they aren't the same). I've seen some posts mentioning problems with twist in some builds that sounds pretty alarming. What are the common pitfalls first time builders encounter? Is it reasonable to expect a boat that will look and perform ok out of a first time build?

Thanks in advance for your input. Look forward to hearing your thoughts.

Brian 

6 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Chesapeake size and feasability

Brian,

As for your fit in a peticular kayak - the best way to find out is to go to one of the CLC Demos and try a finished boat. Nothing is worst than not enjoying a boat one built. Nothing or no one can tell you if you will fit better that the boat itself.

As far as get a nice finished yacht - of course, folks do it all the time. 

As far as problems - also of course. That is what boatbuilding, even from kits, is all about. Solving the problems.

Can you do it? That is up to you. it is not rocket science, but does consume a bit of time and energy. Do you have those? Not everyone does.

Thomas Edison said "Most folks cannot recognize oppertunity, because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work"

Good Luck.

Joel

Brian,

6'-4", 215lbs. size 13 shoe, Chesapeake 17lt fits me great. First time builder, with rough carpentry experience, built two boats from plans alongside each other. A 16lt for my wife and the 17lt for myself. Forum was invaluable.

Good luck,

Dave

Agree with the other comments regarding a first build.  My skills were similar to yours and my first boat is still something that I am proud to paddle.  As long as you can read and follow directions, CLC makes it pretty easy to build something you will be proud of. 

For a first build, I would suggest a kit if you can afford it.  The CNC cut parts will fit nicely and the build is faster.  If you have not already, I suggest that you watch the video series that shows John building a Chesapeake.  It is under the “Tips for Builders” tab. (http://www.clcboats.com/shoptips/building-stitch-and-glue-kayak/?

Regarding boat choice, the 17LT was my first build and it will do everything that you want.  The 17 will give you a little more room and may be a better choice if you plan on paddling in bigger waves.  The low volume 17LT bow has a bit of a tendency to submarine through steep waves.  The 17 has more volume and will do a better job of riding over the wave.

You might also consider the Shearwater 17.  It is supposed to be a better performance boat and it will be easier to build.  Shearwaters use forms during construction which results in a more consistent shape and less chance of twist.  The stitch holes are also pre-drilled on the SW and you do not have to plane the shear clamps.  The Shearwater Sport may also fit your needs.

Nothing like a stronk back with external forms to hold everything in a straight line.....you can increase the size a bit. And place them adjacent to the bulkheads and temporary forms......I did this with my Shrike build....

I also did it with my pax 20 build..add external forms to keep the hull straight....

" I have zero boat building experience......." Which is the same as everybody else before boat #1.

"..... but have done framing and rough carpentry work (yes, I realize... they aren't the same)."....... Well you are 95% there if you awknowledge the differences.

Some  rules to keep in mind.

1. Measure twice, cut once.

2. Takes longer to set it up than do it.

3. Sanding is fun.    

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.