Chesapeake 16 offset bulkhead

I wanted my Chesapeake 16 glued with three inch fiberglass tape installed and in a less fragile state before I left for a one week vacation. I worked until 3:30 in the morning and accomplished my goal. I returned today and noticed that I have the aft bulkhead glued 3/8 of an inch 'off center'. It is flush on one side and I have a 3/8 inch gap on the other. I must have been very tired when I was working on its placement. Is it too late to work with a heat gun and remove/reposition the bulkhead. Will an 'offset' radius complicate shaping the sheer clamps and installing the deck and will the deck look like it is installed properly if I do not move the bulkhead?  Any comments or suggestions are welcome. The good news (if there is any) is it is the aft bulkhead and I will not be looking at that deck while paddling.

Thanks, Mike

3 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Chesapeake 16 offset bulkhead

I typed 3/8 of an inch, I meant 3/16ths.

No issue for the deck- you'll likely end up blending the bulkhead top's curve into the sheers anyway, or it'll be too short and the deck will just bridge from bulkhead to sheer. The CH bulkheads are really only provided as a first step that still needs the builder to finalize the fit.

I'd turn the boat over and check the bottom's fairness though, to be sure there isn't a lump in one side...

Thanks Nemochad, that is very helpful   

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.