Easing the hard edges

This is my first build (of a boat that is) so perhaps offering advice to this group is a little presumptuous of me, but I was never one to be shy about such things. I have built a bit of odd furniture, so I have some favorite tools I use for shaping and finishing. One is the card scraper that is well covered in the how-to vidoes. Another is the spokeshave. When shaping the chines on a stitch-and-glue, the suggestions are usually about using a a block plane. Certainly a good tool, and if the blade is sharp, will get the job done. The block plane is really designed as a smoothing tool, while the spokeshave is more of a sculpting tool. Using one to round off the chines and shape the bow and stern makes the job quite fast and is very precise. Anyone else use one?

1 reply:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Easing the hard edges

Marton,

I used a spokeshave for the first time last year when I carved my Greenland paddle, and absolutely fell in love with how it worked!  I probably used it as much as my block plane while building my Shearwater Sport shortly thereafter.

I have now added a convex shaped foot(?) to my tool collection to get in some tighter radii.  I find that one a bit trickier to use though.

Dave

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.