Problem: Drywall screws in hull.

While gluing inwale spacers on my Jimmy Skiff, I decided to hold each spacer with a screw rather than a clamp. My plan was to remove the screws, insert epoxy and a thin wooden peg into each screw hole, and then attach the inwale. However, when I tried to remove the screws, 16 of them broke off in the wood! I'm wondering what to do. 

I can't figure out an effective way to remove them. The screws are too small for a screw extractor kit, and most other broken-screw-removal methods don't seem like they would work here. 

If I leave the broken screw in the wood and entomb it in epoxy, will it compromise the integrity of the boat? I know you're not supposed to have non-stainless steel anywhere in the boat, but if it is not exposed and well above the water line in a boat that sees light use, are we talking about noticeable rust damage?

I have seen other people temporarily clamp various work pieces with screws, so I'm baffled as to why so many of mine broke. 

See the attached picture. Any thoughts are appreciated!

10 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Problem: Drywall screws in hull.

Spacers   

Try a product like this...

http://www.woodcraft.com/product/124210/screw-extractor-14.aspx

Epoly a peg the hole after.

or just burry the suckers.

I thought of a product like that, Silver Salt, but it looks like you have to drill all the way through the outer rail to remove the plug. I didn't want a bunch of plugs showing on the outer rail, so I'm leaning towards the "bury he suckers" option. 

I don't see how you'd have a bung on the outside cause it looks like the broke off heads are on the inside, soon to be covered. 

Drywall screws are really one time use. But we routinely use them in and out, again and again.  They likely got a little epoxy on the threads and a good bond. Or they cracked when you cranked them in on the first time and outwardly failed on the removal. On the next time a little soap, or wax on the threads will allow for removal. 

Seal 'em up. 

I would only damage the outside if I used a "plug cutter" type tool (basically I small hole saw, like Silver Salt suggested) to remove the screw and the surrounding wood. If I understand that tool, I would have to drill from the inside all the way through the outside to remove the screw and small plug.

...But it sounds like you guys would just encapsulate the screw in epoxy on your own boat. Any dissenters?

These were brand new, unused drywall screws. I'm still wondering why they broke. I will wax the threads from now on.

My sailing dinghy has about 1/2 dozen broken off drywall screws bedded in epoxy/woodflour in the rubrail. They've been there since 2004 or so without any problem.

They probably broke because the were immobilized by the epoxy/woodflour glue that's holding the rubrail on.

I wouldn't use wax because of the chance of contaminating the wood surfaces and keeping the epoxy from bonding. Rather, heat the screws with a soldering iron before extracting them to release the epoxy bond.

Good luck,

Laszlo

Total encapsulation should do the trick.  Rust requries, iron, oxygen and water or air moisture to form and if you do a thorough job of encapsulation you are going to eliminate 2 of the 3 conditions needed for rust to form.  Trying to remove them is going to be a very frustrating job and create a lot of uneeded work in my opinion.  Good luck.

When the screw must be removed, I just use a plug cutter and drill about half the screw's length. The annular bit of wood crumbles away easily, and the screw can be grabbed with needle nose pliers (vice grip types are best) and twisted out.

Thank you all for the feedback! Laszlo, it is nice to know how yours held up after 12 years. Nemochad, good to know I don't have to drill al the way out the other side should I try to remove the screw. 

I will do a good job of sealing the area including the holes and the end grain of the spacers and leave the screws in there to save time, money, and hassle. 

You guys are always a big help. You'll hear from me should I run into another head scratcher before I get this thing finished. 

For "next time", Russell Brown suggests spraying sheet rock screws with   WD40  or Pam (I do that in a paper cup), wrapping up a dozen or so in  a rag or paper towels and then squeeze and roll the wad in your fingers to blot off excess fluid.

All released for me.

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.