Working height for interior work

I seem to be struggling trying to figure out a good working height as I am working on my Skerry.  When I built a Mill Creek, I found standard sawhorses at 30" worked just fine for the entire build and finishing.  With the Skerry, I can't seem to figure out a good height for the different stages of build.  I'm getting ready to glass the interior, and I want to setup the Skerry in a way that will give me good access to the bottom.  Any suggestions for working setups?  Any ideas for using something other than sawhorses?  I'm also anticipating that varnishing the interior is going to be awkward work at best.

Thanks,

Scott

4 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Working height for interior work

���I set mine up on the plastic blue feed buckets found on beef farms. The were just about perfect. Hooper Williams - Brevard, NC

The blue buckets:

Hooper   

I used the trailer for mine once it had been stiched together and the seams filled.  It was a bit hard on the back, but short of developing a way to tip it at about a 45 deg. angle, was the best I could do.   

I usually use saw hourses with cradles on the top to steady the bigger boats.You could use upright framing horse with a web strap between the two uprights. I find this comfortable at around 30-36" work height. Adjust the height of the framing accordingly.  The webbing makes it easier to angle the boat. I use some webbing 3-4" wide. 

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.