New design?

Any one know what this custom design might be?

http://sailinganarchy.com/2016/07/26/fun/

12 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: New design?

CLC posted about this on their FB page.  You can see them partially built on the shopcam.   

Looks like a Mill Creek 16.5 / Sassafras 16 on steroids.

Thanks fot the shop cam link. Nice chunky shape

A brace of 17-foot canoe yawls with auxiliary Hobie Mirage power.  This is a joint project between the filmmakers Waterlust and Chesapeake Light Craft.  The boats will be sailed to Florida from Annapolis!

Much more ado about this later in the week.

Design is by CLC's own Dillon Majoros. (Click to embiggen.)

Sailing Canoe Kit

Much too early to say whether this design will become a regular CLC offering. The familiar, lugubrious litany of testing...more testing...instruction manual...more instruction manual comes first, as ever...

John,

Whether you end up offering this boat as a product or not, you could do the world of small boat builders a fantastic service by offering the plans for a generic mount for the Hobie Mirage drive. One of the most common questions I run across when reading about the use of that drive is "what are the dimensions ?". Of course, no one posts a response.

I would happily pay in the neighborhood of $10.00 for a PDF dimensioned drawing of just the mount in that yawl - no boat, no manual, no instructions, just the dimensioned drawing.

Laszlo

Is it possible to buy a Hobey Mirage drive without buying a kayak? I searched the internet but it seems my Google Fu is not strong enough. If I can find a source I'll buy one as I have a plan . . . 

Please John, I beg you to bring this Expedition Canoe to avaiable to purchase for us canoe sailors, and I even already have a mirage drive waiting for this design..

Brian

Hobie has several models of the Marage drive including one that can shift into reverse. You will need to contact a dealer about prices because they are not listed on the web site but they can steer you to the nearest dealer. I checked about four years ago and the basic model was about $800 so they ain't cheep. They can generate quite a bit of thrust, especially with the Turbo fins.

Compare that $800 to carbon fiber oars, 2-hp outboards and electric motors with lithium ion batteries and it'll start seeming more competitive, especially in states like Maryland where muscle/wind powered boats are not required to pay the annual registration fees.

Laszlo

Here is a link to a Hobie Mirage drive you can buy without buying the kayak:

http://www.austinkayak.com/products/16323/Hobie-Mirage-Drive-GTT-Turbo-Bluefins.html

Thanks Dan!

Checked on the progress. Looking good. I wish I had that much energy at midnight.

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.