Kaholog Handle Failure

I wonder if anyone has the best solution to fix a carry handle a Kaholo 14 that popped out on one side.  Screw just pulled out when I lifted it.  I was thinking of refilling the hole with either gorrilla glue and toothpicks or wood flour thickened epoxy, then redrilling it and putting in a longer screw.  Does anyone have any better ideas?  Thanks much.

3 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Kaholog Handle Failure

I was just corresponding with a Kaholo builder last week who had an identical failure.

My advice was to switch to slightly longer screws.  Right before the replacements are driven in, the screw holes are filled with unthickened epoxy, which then cures around the screws.

About the only downside to that is that the screws might NEVER come out, even when you want them to. (The trick is to heat the screw with the point of a soldering iron to soften the epoxy.)

RE: Kaholog Handle Failure

Use a bond breaker on the longer screws. For example, wax, grease, etc. A thin coat of bond breaker will allow the epoxy to form threads around the screw threads yet not bond to the screw.  

RE: Kaholo Handle Failure

Thanks!  Once again, I'm glad I asked the experts.  Longer screw with unthickened epoxy it is (and the wax coating)!

Much obliged.   

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.