Fabric whitening

Has anyone had this happen on their kayak?  I took my three year old CLC 18 that has always been stored indoors and rarely used on a week long trip to the Outer banks where it was exposed to sun/rain. When I got back I noticed that there was some "whitening" of the weave in the glass cloth on the rear deck that was not there before.  It seems to have appeared after the kayak was on top of my truck during a heavy rain.

Has anyone else had a problem with this?   The deck is covered with 4oz cloth wetted out with West System resin and 207 hardener, and coated with three coats of varnish. 

One ocean kayaks did an epoxy test and noted the same problem but it was usually with blusing epoxies and after a longer period of time. 

http://www.oneoceankayaks.com/Epoxyhtm/epox6m.htm

This boat has been exposed to the sun for about two weeks max, that is including all of the days I have paddled it over the past three years and and therecent week long trip to the beach. 

Any ideas on how to fix the problem?  I like the natural wood look but I am seriously giving some thought to painting over it. 

5 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Fabric whitening

"  This boat has been exposed to the sun for about two weeks max, that is including all of the days I have paddled it over the past three years and and the recent week long trip to the beach."  

Subtract the week at the beach and you put 7 days divided by three or 2.33 days a year using the boat? One problem is that you are not using it enough.

I live in Florida my C-17 was launched about a year ago.  I haven't seen any sun activated whitening in that time. It has been on several 4 day weekends spending a lot of time on top of the truck,  upright, in full sun and down pours.  

"Subtract the week at the beach and you put 7 days divided by three or 2.33 days a year using the boat? One problem is that you are not using it enough."

I agree that is a problem, but I have five kayaks and I also work 40 hours a week so none of them gets a great deal of use. 

I just don't like these white dots that have appeared on the weave and want to know if the problem can be fixed and how, as well as how to prevent it from happening on my other two wooden kayaks.

How many coats of varnish do you have on yours?  Maybe three coats is not enough.

It sounds like some sort of stress has been done on the fiberglass. Are these white/silver dots at the location of where the straps used in transporting the boat or in an area that had a load placed on it? Did you use ratcher straps? You may have damaged the fibers in the fiberglass. The spots that you are seeing are the ends of the broken fibers. The only way, other than painting over would be to strip everything off to the wood and than reglass. I just had this happen to a hatch hold down knob. I haven't done anything yet but thinking about placing an onlay under the knob and cover the damaged area. An onlay may work for you also. Remember you will want to remove all of the finish in the damaged area so that the onlay can securely attach to the boat. When I varnish a new boat I put a minimum of three coats on but prefer five( do you want to use the boat during the good weather or send your time in the garage putting on layers of varnish). As the boat ages one or two coats are reapplied during the off season. I've always said that each year a coat will be burned off because of UV degradation. These later coats hide the dings, bangs, and scrapes that seem to accumulate over the season. Tom C

You might be right It is two strips of dots about a 1.5' long 1,5" wide on the  rear deck just inboard of where it is nailed to the sheer clamps. there are no dots over top of the sheer clamps.  I didn't use ratchet straps and I don't think I strapped it down hard enough to flex the rear deck enough to break the glass but I guess it is possible.  

I did do a scramble rescue like this to climb back into the kayak once after I capsized and that may have caused the deck to flex enough to break the glass. http://www.neckykayaks.com/tips_techniques/safety_rescue/scramble_self_rescue/

I am way under the specified paddler weight for a Chesapeake 18 at only 180 lbs so I wouldn't have thought I would have damaged the boat doing this, but if these dots are what you say they are perhaps it was caused by the deck flexing just inside of the sheer clamps as I climbed up on it to get back into the boat. 

Maybe I should have used 6 oz glass on the deck instead of the 4oz specified by CLC.   Not sure how I can beef up the deck now other than maybe putting some carbon fiber on the under side of it.

You might be right It is two strips of dots about a 1.5' long 1,5" wide on the  rear deck just inboard of where it is nailed to the sheer clamps. there are no dots over top of the sheer clamps.  I didn't use ratchet straps and I don't think I strapped it down hard enough to flex the rear deck enough to break the glass but I guess it is possible.  

I did do a scramble rescue like this to climb back into the kayak once after I capsized and that may have caused the deck to flex enough to break the glass. http://www.neckykayaks.com/tips_techniques/safety_rescue/scramble_self_rescue/

I am way under the specified paddler weight for a Chesapeake 18 at only 180 lbs so I wouldn't have thought I would have damaged the boat doing this, but if these dots are what you say they are perhaps it was caused by the deck flexing just inside of the sheer clamps as I climbed up on it to get back into the boat. 

Maybe I should have used 6 oz glass on the deck instead of the 4oz specified by CLC.   Not sure how I can beef up the deck now other than maybe putting some carbon fiber on the under side of it.

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.