Rudder Shape Examples-Want to finalize

I built a prototype kick up rudder for my NE Dory out of 3/4" CDX roofing plywood and want to finalize the shape of the rudder blade.  The prototype sails pretty well, but a little sluggish maybe and I was wondering about trimming the blade some...The picture below shows 3 rudder examples stacked up:

Top one:  the CLC kickup rudder kit pieces (rudder blade in blue tape), 
Middle one: 
then the new prototype rudder, and the blue tape is what I was considering cutting off.
Bottom one: you can see corners poking out in white paint--that is the stock CLC non kick up rudder

Sure would like comments on the blade shape!!

I can show pictures of the rudder in the kicked up position if desired.

Thanks!

Curt

3 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Rudder Shape Examples-Want to finalize

The only thing I can talk about is the standard CLC rudder. I was out sailing today in moderate wind with some brisk gusts and lots of huge waves from passing wave machines. When I was seated on the center thwart, I was at times a bit concerned about broaching. When I moved to the rear thwart, the boat sailed a bit better. The nose was higher and didn't pound into the waves as much, and the concern about broaching vanished. I'm not sure if this is helpful info, but it's all I have.

I've build the clc designed kick up rudder so I don't have a comparable design to sail. My question is if you reduce the surface area on the kick up as described with the blue tape, is that going to change the handling dynamics? Especially going upwind. The problem with mine is that the rudder falls off to port probably because of the weight on top, tiller extension. I actually snapped it last week and am in the process of gluing it together. If your prototype sails with the decreased surface area I souls think smaller and lighter is better. I believe you have both the kick up and fixed rudder, which one sails best? Let us know. Your posts are always interesting, Dan 

I've been thinking about your comment that your prototype feels a bit sluggish. The obvious question is, "Compared to what?" I have only the standard rudder and would be interested in comparing it to other designs. But I do find that the standard rudder rounds the boat into the wind quite smartly. To the extent that there is a problem with sluggishness, it arises from the lack of mass -- and hence momentum -- in the boat itself. The combination of wind and wave can easily sap the momentum and leave the boat in irons. I don't think that rudder design can do much to alter that.

The very shallow design of the standard rudder could obviously contribute to broaching and might sap responsiveness compared to a deeper rudder. But won't a deeper rudder create more drag and have some adverse effect on top speed? Thus, a gain in one area could lead to a loss in another. I'd love to learn the results on any testing you do.

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.