Rowing skerry at 2 person

Hi Everybody.

I am Valere, I just sold by Beneteau First 210 on which we sailed for one year along Europ (http://deuxhuluberlusaborddecartahu.blogspot.fr). And I am now looking for my new ideal raid sailing boat, and for now, I have a little crush about the skerry and skerry raid.
We plan to build it during next winter, in Romania.

Here are the technical specifications I am looking for :
- Cruising with 1 or 2 lights sailors (exceptionnaly 3 for short distance) for a few weeks + light luggages (30kg of material/food/water).
- Weight (when empty and without the sails/mast) < 60kg. We want to be able to lift the boat with my girlfriend. And eventually to put it on the top of a car.
- Propulsion : sails and rows (at 2 person) if no wind or in a canal
- Able to tackle to go upwind
- Homologation at least C2
- Cost of the hull <2500 euros  + extra for the sails/mast/equipment

I really enjoy the simplicity of the construction of the Skerry, but I am wondering if it could be possible to row at 2 persons. What do you think about it ? I looked for an answer in the last forum messages, but I didn't find the answer.

I am not afraid about making some light modification on the plans of the skerry, eventually with the agreement of the architect.

Thanks for any information

Valère

6 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Rowing skerry at 2 person

With two people on board I row from the bow seat with the passenger sitting in the stern. It's not as efficient but balances the boat better. I don't think that option is available with the Skerry Raid but I haven't looked at it closely so could be wrong.  

The Skerry is set up for one person to row, with one or two passengers.

If you would like to do tandem rowing (i.e., two people rowing), you should look at the Northeaster Dory. It meets all of your needs as a camping cruiser and gives you significantly more space than the Skerry, without adding much weight.  

The Skerry is set up for one person to row, with one or two passengers.

If you would like to do tandem rowing (i.e., two people rowing), you should look at the Northeaster Dory. It meets all of your needs as a camping cruiser and gives you significantly more space than the Skerry, without adding much weight.  

Hi !

Thanks for your answers.

On the skerry, there are two different positions for rowing. So why isn't it possible to row at the same time at 2 persons, for example with only one oar per person ?

Thanks for the advice about the Northeaster Dory, I will take a look.

Valère

It is all about the distrubution of weight. 2 rowers will cause nose down. You can't row sitting on the aft seat

Ruud

But, I agree, you could do it in the Skerry -- especially if the person in the bow is much lighter than the one on the center thwart. The Skerry is a lovely, versatile boat.

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.