Bootlegger

Couple of questions abou the micro bootlegger solo:

1: I want to buy the full kit but I don't like the three different color woods can I just order one wood?

2: if I do only one wood is walnut too heavy and should I use the darker cedar?

3: I would like to use the mahogany colorled stain anyone used that on cedar?

4: I want to build the coming up aite to look more like the original Bootlegger not exact but some any issues with that? 

4 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Bootlegger

1.  I believe that when you order your kit, you can specify how much of each color wood you want.

2.  If you look up the wood properties, you will find that the Peruvian Walnut is roughly two times heavier than WRC and the Alaskan Yellow is about 25% heavier.  You can do some math to figure out how much more an all PW boat would weigh.  Not surprisingly, I find the heavier wood harder to bend and twist.

The PW and AYC have a very consistent color.  The WRC supplied by CLC comes in about 4 colors:  light, light brown with significant grain, reddish and nut brown.  There are also some strips that transition from one color to another along their length.  The variation in colors is great if you want to be creative but it would be hard to build a boat that is all one color using CLC WRC strips.  Folks that do that tend to cut their own strips and keep them in the order that they were cut.  Here are a couple of pictures of the Frej that I am building for my wife.  I used bead and cove strips from CLC.  The white strips are AYC and all the rest are WRC.

3.  I have not stained a strip boat but have used dark stain on an Okoume hull.  I like the look but the dark highlights any scratches that you get in the varnish.

4.  Haven't built a Bootlegger (yet) but it is your build so do what you want.

Thanks that helps and your build looks beautiful

i will probably start with ordering the plans and book and maybe a few feet if each cedar and some stain and run some tests then order the kit plus any extras I need

OK one more question. I like the looks of the longer bootlegger but only really need for one person. Can I buy the tandem and deck over part of the opening to make a one person? I was thinking of using the remainder with some hatches as storage 

This is kind of what I was thinking of

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.