Applying Shearwater Sport coming to hull

I'm about to attache the coming of my Shearwater Sport and apply to the hull. The manual it shows this as one operation, but is there any reason it can't be broken down into two? That is, first attaching the plywood risers, letting the epoxy cure, and then applying the coming lip? Seems to me it might be easier that way to keep everything in alignment. Also, I notice that the risers don't align perfectly with the cockpit cut-out but seem ever so slightly larger -- is that normal?

many thanks in advance for any sage advice.

Mark 

9 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Applying Shearwater Sport coming to hull

Hi again Mark,

It sounds like you are making good, steady progress on your build.  I imagine at this point you're getting pretty antsy to be out on the water with it!

Regarding  your question, I'm not sure that there is a right or wrong way to install the coaming assembly, just different ways.  I don't see why you technique wouldn't work.  I personally went with a method I found on this forum, i.e. before installing the assembly per the manual I first covered the deck with plastic packing tape so that it could be removed once cured.  The advantage this offers is that you can "easily" clean up the exterior lamination edges that would be hard to get at otherwise.  That gap is only 3/4" and the coaming circumference has to be around five feet - frustrating work!  All in all I was very happy to go the route I chose.  BTW, I think the technique is discribed in one of Lazlo's posts if you want to search for it.

Another thing I struggled with during this installation was properly orienting the riser pieces.  Again, I built mine from plans, so your situation may be different.  If I remember correctly my risers were three layers made in left and right sides.  It was hard for me to tell exactly where the centerline of the boat was, so that I could have the coaming right on center and not cocked off just that little annoying bit.  I finally came up with the idea of simply running a taught string from bow to stern with a simple loop hooked over the ends, and that determined where the riser joints were.  It worked great.

I'm loving these questions.  They kind of let me relive my build!

Keep up the good work,

Dave

Commentor Birch suggested drilling small holes and inserting nails to keep all the paret aligned. That is a good idea .

I used a version of that on my cockpit rims. I knew that trying to glue the two layers of spacers (both layers in halfs) and the rim to the boat at once was going to be a slippery layer cake. So I assembled the hole mess dry with clamps. Once it was aligned correctly, I drilled 1/4" holes in eight places in a nice design. Then the rim was assembled with epoxy and 1/4" dowels in the alignment holes - it glued up like a charm because the clamps where just supplying vertical pressure, the dowels kept all the pieces aligned. Now the dowels are "decoration" on my cockpit rim.  

Joel

Building a Wood Duck 12 - Building the coaming

Laszlo

Good ideas all! This newbie thanks you for your accrued wisdom, Dave, Joel, and Lazlo. 

Mark

Good ideas all! This newbie thanks you for your accrued wisdom, Dave, Joel, and Lazlo. 

Mark

Mark

Assembled the coming last night using both Lazlo's method of building it as a subassembly before gluing it to the boat, combined with Joel's idea of using dowels to ensure proper alignment of the risers and top rim. Worked like a charm! Now that the piece has cured overnight, I'll apply the fillet under the rim. Did you guys apply any fiberglass to the outside of the risers, or is merely sealing it with a layer of epox sufficient to protect it?

Mark

(also apologies for the inadvertent triple posting above)

Applying glass to the outside of the comming is a bit difficult - I just coated the outside with epoxy. I did glass the inside and top, like  the manual says.

Joel

I do mine in layers, I use screws to hold the ends in place and glue and clamp down the first layer.  Then once the epoxy is cured I back the screws out and screw down the second layer onto the first layer glue and clamp it down, then once it sets up I pull the the screws out and install the rim. 

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.