Love CLC's plywood sheets with finger joints

Plywood sheets with finger joints has saved me so much time and angst that I wanted to let others know and to say, great product!

16' after they are jointed together. Hooray. Don't need butt blocks. No losing inches at a scarf. Super.

ready to join

192" long sheet

4 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Love CLC's plywood sheets with finger joints

+1 to everything you said. I used them on my schooner project and loved them. The best part is that CLC can apply it to any standard thickness of plywood. In my case it was for 6 and 12 mm. They're great for the scratch builder.

Laszlo

Hey Laszlo, nice boat! I'm also a Phil Bolger fan.

Gary

Thanks Gary. What right-thinking  boatbuilder isn't? :-)

Laszlo

Well you loose more than a scarf if you are talking proportional designs.  On 1/4" you loose 2 inches for scarfs.  On a half inch, you would loose 4 inches, If the finger joint maker is using one size for all it does make one wonder.  That said, you could scarf 1/2" in 2 inches also, the panel is not going to break in the vast majority of cases, and that is before one considers the glass schedule being used to skin or protect it.  Panels have all kinds of different loadings, in some cases the breaks-elsewhere-in-bending test will be completely iirrelevant.  In other cases the panel may be loaded nowhere near it's capacity, so the fact of a short scarf or finger joint won't mater. 

Finger joints a more appopriate for all abilities of worker; faster to align, self clamping, retain more native flex, strong enough, and on and on.  As long as the design takes whatever the characteristics of the joinery are into account, should be great. 

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.