small 5 inch, 1mm wide gap. Should I be worried?

I've begun to sand and notice a few small gaps that are about 1mm wide gabs between two strips.  They taper to fine points on both ends.  the gap overal length is about 5 inchs.  Do I do anything about it? Do I fill it with wood flour/epoxy? or just leave alone and let the epoxy fill it in while layin the FB cloth?

5 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: small 5 inch, 1mm wide gap. Should I be worried?

What boat, what strips?

Laszlo

Night Heron Hybrid 18.  Deck strips.  It is located  inbetween two strips.  Aparently I didn't lay the next strip tightly into the grove in that area so it left a small gap about 1mm or less wide and tapers at both ends where the edge of each strip joins back and tightly.   

If I was worried about strength, I'd fill it with epoxy/woodflour putty. If I was worried about looks, I'd plane or sand a piece of wood to fill it in.

Good luck,

Laszlo

Thank you for the advice.  Though curious, could you  explain in laymans terms how to create a piece of wood smaller in width of a toothpick but as long as 5'' tapered?  I can see the idea of making it stick out a bit then sand it flush,  I get that part but how to make it narrow enough to puzzle it into the crack?  Last question.  I've heard that the woodflour becomes much darker.  Though if I sand a stock of the same strip to make sawdust,  wouldn't that allow it to match when mixing it with eopxy to fill it?   

A guy could cut a wood strip as thin as able, then plane or sand it down as thin as needed from there. Just clamp a long piece to a solid work surface for the planing to take place away from the clamps. I have also been able to use a bandsaw to taper cuts down to even thinner than a toothpick. 

As for the wood flour/epoxy color, my experience has always resulted in darker goop even when adding dust from the same wood species. If I was trying to color match to a light colored wood, I would try mixing in almost entirely cellulose on a test batch; that is one way I know of to end up with a light epoxy fill.

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.