Epoxying Dory Bow and Transom

I am currently in the process of building my first boat, a dory and am struggling with determining when I need to epoxy the transom and bow.  The directions just say epoxy the rest of the hull (but yet emphasize do not remove the stitching from the transom or bow).  Subsequent pictures show pictures of the bow and transom with stitching but its difficult to determine if these sections were in fact epoxied. And there is no mention of epoxying these sections after the interior fillets are complete.

So when is the best time to epoxy the outside of the bow and transom?  Should this be done after the interior wood fillets are in place or before?  Is exterior epoxy not needed on these two sections because of the fiberglass layer? 

If anybody could shed some light on this it would be greatly appreciated!

1 reply:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Epoxying Dory Bow and Transom

There isn't any glue up on the outside of the transom, only the interior fillets. On the bow, it doesn't hurt to throw some epoxy/peanut butter between the wires just to hold it in place a bit better when flipping the boat. Once it's right side up, fair the bow if needed and then do the fillet. You're going to grind off and round over the bow to a fair shape before glassing the outside and you'll more than likely have to fill in a few gaps in the bow and the transom planks before glass. And you'll also have to fill in where the wires were on the bottom and #1 panels after you round over that joint before glassing.You don't want to put fiberglass over voids. And it is important to NOT pull out the bow, transom and bulkhead wires till the whole boat is glued and filleted. Thoses can be cut flush afterwards and sanded smooth.

George K

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.