Dory Meetup Northern Michigan This Summer?

We've been in the Michigan Upper Penninsula for a few weeks now and headed for the northern lower peninsula for the summer (June, July, August), in the Traverse City - Charlevoix area.  If anyone else is headed this way with their dory (or other) this summer it would be a hoot to meet up and maybe even have a side by side sail.

Right now we are camped for a few days at Cedarville MI, will visit the Great Lakes Boat Building School, then head down across the bridge.

Curt 817/456-2878 [email protected]

4 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Dory Meetup Northern Michigan This Summer?

I will be launching my dory on Intermediate Lake (just east of Torch Lake) in mid July -- a meet up would be great!

Dave M.

[email protected]  

Hi Dave...great looking boat!  You must be making this as a sloop rig?

Let's stay in touch via email.

Yes -- it will be a sloop rig.

I've been admiring your boat and your tips -- I like the tiller clamp.  I'll have to add that to my boat.

The red paint on the bottom -- is that Brightsides or anti-fouling paint? 

Thanks for the comments!   The bottom has Pettit Vivid red bottom paint on it.  Pettit Vivid supposedly holds its color better than other brands and doesnt chalk.  My dory has been upside down in the sun on top of our tow car behind our motorhome for 6 months over the last few years of travels and while it is fading a wee bit, it is not chalking at all.  Also, I understand this paint burnishes from use like racers want.  I guess a burnished surface is the opposite of chalking (?). After the first summer I rough sanded it to re-do the paint completely but after last summer I only touched up the scratches from rocks and wear on the skeg.  I should have just done that the first year as the paint holds up fine.

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.