Stitch and Glue question

Is part of the strength of this technique from the bent plywood panels?

My project will have some flat panels, but with joining pieces of plywood at different angles, which is why I'm considering this technique.  Some flat areas may be as wide as 36 inches.  Should I add reinforcing ribs onto flat areas that have no curve to them to prevent flex and deformation, or will the stitch/glue along with seam taping and fiberglass layers make it strong enough?

2 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Stitch and Glue question

Yes, the bends add strength. But mostly, the corners are the secret sauce. The panels that make up these boats are floppy wet noodles on their own- but joined along a corner -even a shallow 'V'- and the panels reinforce each other tremendously.

That effect goes away the farther you get from a corner though. A 36" wide panel would be very floppy in the middle, or require thicker ply (say, 6mm instead of a kayak's 4mm).

RE: Stitch and Glue question

Thanks for the reply, that really helps.. I will have several conjoining panels at different angles, as well as a few 3 panels joints that I thought will help with the strength.  I will use thicker ply on the larger panels and also employ a few light ribs to add strength, but I really appreciate the feedback as it has given me confidence to move forward with my design stage, so I will hopefully have fewer pitfalls when I start making sawdust.

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.