Suitable Craft for Trolling?

Hi, I just joined this forum.

I would like to build a small craft for trolling in coastal waters.  I would appreciate advice as to suitable designs.  The sit on topkayak designs all seem to be quite slow designs and probably not suitable for long periods of use

Part of the motivation is fitness so looking for an oar/paddle powered craft. 

I'm looking for a craft that is: -

- efficient, as I need to troll at about 4 knots for long periods of time

- tracks wells

- seaworthy - needs to cope with coastal chop and

- has reaosnable stability to allow playing of fish  

- Can carry about 300lbs - me + gear + fish.

Current I'm looking at the Expedition Wherry or the Guillemot L.  Quite different designs but both seem to be reaosnably efficient and stable. Either would require substantial mods to be suitable for fishing (rod holders, storage and fishfinder).  Any and all advice/feedback welcome.

10 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Suitable Craft for Trolling?

Northeaster dory?plenty of room and stability,lots of options such as sliding seat or lug sail .1or2 fixed seat rowing , very seaworthy

Mike,

That's one of the things I use my Peeler Skiff, About Time for.  I can see using the NE Dory for handlining or drift fishing, but not for trolling in coastal saltwater.  Maybe I'm too cautious, but I like a really stable platform when I'm fighting a fish.

Cheers,

Dick

Thanks for the replies.I'm lookign for something a bit slimmer than a skiff or dory.  I need to paddle at 3.5 knot of faster to wokr the lures correctly. 

I currently fish from a 13 foot kayak, so I'm comfortable fighting fish from a craft with only moderate stability.

The trick is to keep the drag setting light.  

Here is a link to the gps track of a recent row in my dory--

https://www.strava.com/activities/529334962/analysis

My average speed was 3.6 mph, rowing at an easy pace. The dory is easier to row and faster than my 10' kayaks.

You'd have plenty of room in the boat for all the fish you caught!

What about the Hybrid Night Heron - high deck.  It seems to have plenty of storage, and has a payload capacity of 300#.

The hybrid Night Heron could work Alan.  I'd have to open up the cockpit quite bit etc, but apart fort hat it would be easy to fit out for fishing.

I'm still interested to hear how people think the Expedition Wherry would go as a trolling platform.  It's described as a sea worthy open water row boat.  It looks sleek enough ("gentle cruising at 4.5knots")  to row for 6 hours which would be an ideal trip.

I could easily modify it for fishing - ice locker, rod holders, tackle storage, radio and a Fishfinder/GPS.

How about a mill creek 16 I used to troll from mine,lots of room plenty of stability,I put 2 clamp on rod holders in front of me it doesn't interfer with paddling and you can watch your lines. Maintaing 3.5 mph should be no problem. Can also be equiped with a sliding seat for rowing.in calm water you can even stand up in it

19 ft, center console, bay boat.

The prospect of paddling in a two foot chop into a head wind on an opposing tide and maintaining 4.5 mph while trolling is only elclipsed by the vision of swinging a wiggling machrell tree on board my kayak in chop and not hooking myself.

Bend your barbs down then hooking yourself isn't so bad

Thanks for the suggestion Grumpy.  I already have a 20ft deep-V power boat, so not looking to duplciate that.  I don't have any trouble delsing with Barrcoutta on my kayak, so should be OK on a Wherry too. 

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.