Epoxy Mixing with Cell-o-Fill

Hello All!

Getting ready to start my NE Dory build and a simple question on epoxy mixing. The pumps for resin and hardner are fixed ( 1 to 1) but how much cell-o-fill is added?  Teaspoon-tablespoon for each pump?

Thanks Brian

9 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Epoxy Mixing with Cell-o-Fill

I would double check the epoxy.  Mine was 2 pumps of resin to 1 pump hardner.  The Cell-o-fill is more of a consistancy thing.  It says like mustard.  I put half a handfull at a time and mixed until it is thickened to what I wanted.  You just do not want it runny.  It is not an exact science and you should not over think it.  You have to put a lot in to make it too thick.

Hello Tspara,

Ok understand the Cell-o Fill adding. But now I am confused about the resin/epoxy ratio. Page 9 under Stitch and Glue Esentials ( 3rd paragraph) it does indeed reference two parts resin one part hardner.

Under the Mixing Epoxy section (1st paragraph) it states "One push on the resin and then one on the hardner automatically dispenses the proper amount of resin and the proper amount of hardner."  So should it state two pumps on the resin and one on the hardner..??? dispenses the proper amount of resin and the proper amount of hardner.

The last sentance refers to the proper pump being placed into the proper container. By that statement I assumed the Resin pump was dispensing twice as much on one pump since they want you to put the proper pump into the proper container. Based upon the previous sentance of one pump and one pump dispensed the proper amount.

oops.  I am sorry follow the directions you have.  I am using Raka epoxy.  It is a different brand than you get at CLC.  I am sorry to confuse you.  It has been a while since I epoxied and I forgot what I used.

Brian,  Definitely use one to one pumps for each of the resin and hardner containers provided by CLC.

I used increments of 10, 20 etc pumps from each container for batches I mixed for my Dory.  I mixed these well before adding the cello fill.  It turns out that I needed to order another batch of cello fill to finish the boat, so perhaps I mixed thicker than necessary.

I think a good indicator of proper cello fill mix is how well it penetrates the plank overlaps.  The epoxy should fill the entire void of the overlap without excessive bleed through inside the hull.

Thanks Timber......................Tspara not a problem.

Brian

The pumps used with CLC sold epoxies meter the correct ratio. Other suppliers may not use pumps that meter in the mix ratio.

The Raka instructions specify measuring by volume and do not mention any pumps.

There are lots of different types of epoxy. Here in Turkey I can't get Mas epoxy and West system epoxy is very expensive. I use an Italian make - Elantas which mixes at a 3:1 ratio I I don't have pumps to measure it with so I add it straight into a mixing pot with graduations on the side. It doesn't matter what it says in the build manual, what matters is what it says on the epoxy can - and thorough mixing. 

I have epoxies in the house at 1:1, 3:1 and 2:1 mix ratios. I make sure I keep the labels clean so I don't get it wrong.  :)

Oh, I should have said, that like Tspara I just mix in additives till it is how I want it. Not only can I not get Mas epoxy here in Turkey I can't get cell-o-fill or cab-o-sill and wood flour is hard to come by. My boats are held together with different mixes of fibreglass microfibres, microballoons and silica. Fillets are usually epoxy/microballoons/silica which gives a smooth, light brown mix. People living Stateside are spoilt for choice!

Wood flour is just saw dust from a specific type of wood. It is best made in a small shop by drilling large pits (holes not through the wood) and taking a sander across the tops of the pits and gather the saw dust from the pits.

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.