Gunter Sloop Yard

Today, I happily cut the tape on the last CLC bundle in my garage (spars). I notice the yard has quite a bit of twist in it. How will this affect performance, if at all? Hooper Williams - Brevard, NC

6 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Gunter Sloop Yard

Hooper,

You didn't mention which CLC kit you are building and in which direction the yard curves.

Cheers,

I'm building a Skerry.  The Gunter Sloop rig was developed for the Passagemaker and adapted to the Skerry by CLC.  Looking from bottom to top, the twist is in a counter-clockwise direction about 45 degrees. (if the bottom is oriented 12:00-6:00 the other top orients itself to 10:30-4:30).  It almost looks like it would make a pretty good propeller.   

Hooper

Hooper,

Doesn't sound good to me.  Personally, I would contact CLC Customer Service and ask them what they think can be done about it.  I had one faulty half bottom with my Peeler Skiff kit and they replaced it at no charge to me.

Cheers,

Dick

Thanks Dick.  They bring up the valid point that I have stored it, unsealed, for 2 years.  They did offer to replace it at cost, but the cost of shipping makes that  kind of prohibitive.  It will be easy enough for me to just make another one.  

Hooper 

Legitimate point.  The "at cost" part reinforces my confidence in CLC customer service.

Yep.  As it turns out, my son is finishing up his high school senior project.  He has a piece of clear pine left over that will be perfect for a yard.

Hooper 

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.