West System Fillet Additive?

I noticed that West System makes a fillet additive, as opposed to just wood flour.  I wondered if anyone had tried it out. In the past I haven't been very happy with my fillets and wondered if this additive would work better than just wood flour. I have the MAS epoxy that came with the kit. I'm building the Annapolis Wherry and am just about to start that part.

2 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: West System Fillet Additive?

Grubber,

What don't you like about your fillets?

Usually it's a skills/experience problem rather than a thickener problem. My first fillets are safely hidden beneath a layer of fairing compound, primer and paint while the last ones are proudly displayed and the boat has won awards. They're all wood flour thickened, it's just the skill and technique improving through practice that made the difference.

Good old cheap woodflour should give you excellent results with some practice.

Have fun,

Laszlo

RE: West System Fillet Additive?

I've used West's fillet blend (when buying other supplies from a vendor that doesn't carry generic wood flour). West appears to be the same as other wood flours, in a nice can with a premium price. It won't make bad fillets good, on its own.

I always add other fillers to my flour to lighten it up- I'm not a fan of the dark brown outlines against okoume. About a 50/50 mix of colloidal silica and flour looks nicer, and makes a smoother paste. You'll not want to sand such a mix though...

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.