NE Dory #4 Bulkhead

Another one for you: I'm having difficulty with #4 Bulkhead and the pre-drilled holes in panels #1 port and stbd. With the tenons and mortises located fully at the base of the bulkhead and were I to stitch the bulkhead to the #1 panels through the pre-drilled holes, the bulkhead would not be vertical. Now before you ask.. ALL the other pre-drilled holes in the bottom, the #1 panels and their corresponding bulkheads fit and line up perfectly. #1, #2, #3 bulkheads are all perfectly vertical in relation to the boat's bottom. My question is: should #4 bulkhead also be vertical or have a slight slant aft. I estimate the bulkhead would be about 15 degrees off the vertical. If you all have a vertical #4 bulkhead then I can only conclude that the holes in my #1 panels are drilled in the wrong place. Would be interested in your thoughts. Gerry51

4 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: NE Dory #4 Bulkhead

Well. I just trusted that the CNC machine drilled the holes in the right places when I built my boat. There will end iup being a fair amount of rocker in the bottom of the boat. Perhaps that accounts for the appearance that the bulkhead will not be vertical.

If it were my boat, I would be inclined to trust the quality of the kit at this point. Stitch it all together and then see how it looks. You can always remove the stitches if you have to do so.

If i understand your question, I believe i had the same issue and I choose to level the bulkhead and drilled a new hole as opposed to attaching the bulkhead off-vertical. IMO tilting the bulkhead to align with the holes would tilt the seat once it is attached.  I also had read a few posts by previous builders who had to drill more holes, because they did not align correctly. 

I did drill a couple of new holes to tighten up the transom, so perhaps oceanluvr is right on this one.    

Thank you all. I did have to dril one extra hole each side and now have 4 vertical bulkheads and a fully stitched up boat. Just totally impressed with the design and accuracy of the boat parts in construction.

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.