NE Dory - Blue tape

ic there anything special about the blue tape used to mask against epoxy spills? Is it plastic in nature, therefore epoxy wont bind on it or is it just 'ordinary' masking tape that painters use? Hope its not too dumb a question! Gerry51

4 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: NE Dory - Blue tape

I used ordinary blue masking tape from Home Depot. I don't think there is anything special about it and it might even be better to use the light tan color. I ended up having a few slivers of the blue stuff that I just could not remove. They are now embedded in epoxy, adding some undesired racing stripes at random locations! (Fortunately, they are very thin slivers and almost unnoticeable.)

Make sure you remove the tape as soon as the epoxy is "tacky."  At that time, any little slivers can be removed with the sharp end of a bamboo skewer.  If you wait until the epoxy cures, large parts of blue tape will become permanent features of your hull.  

Hooper Williams - Brevard, NC 

The blue and green painters tape have a less sticky adhesive than the generic masking tape so if removed with a couple of days it should leve little or no residue. 3M says to remove the tape within 14 days. Since it is a paper or paper like carrier, as noted it is best to remove the tape while the epoxy is still soft. If the tape strats to tear one could run a utility knife along the edge of the tape to cut the epoxy.

After removing the tape one might cleanup any adhesive residue with denatured alchol or mineral spirits.   

The adhesive may also have a hydroscopic additive that swels when exposed to water or latex paint and blocks bleeding of the paint line. I do not think this is a problem with epoxy because of the thickness of the resin.

Thanks for that, very helpful . Gerry51

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.