'Far Niente' - NE Dory build...

To distinguish my questions, which i am certain will be plentiful, I have added the name to be of my NE Dory to distinguish it from several others that are being posted.  I didn't think it was fair to post my questions on their blog thread. 

I am making progress and have the the first panels stiched up with no problem and the center bulkhead.  Now my question.   Upon trying to stitch in the forward bulkhead I am not able to align panel into the groove on the bulkhead as you can see from the pics.  Should i have started at the bow and would that have made the difference? the port side of the same bulkhead

9 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: 'Far Niente' - NE Dory build...

No one has any suggestions? 

BTW is there any way to edit a post once it is posted and spellcheck?  

I'm not sure my memory of this step is accurate, but it seems to me that you want to make sure that the tabs on the bulkhead go into the slots in the bottom panel. Then stitch everything together -- loosely at first. I think I started from the bow, but it may not make any difference. Once everything is more or less in place for a particular strake, start tightening the stitches, tapping on panels with a protective board to keep edges from being crushed, twisting, and jiggling . . . until it all falls into the best alignment you can manage. Try not to break stitches, but it's not a disaster if you do. Just replace them. When you get close to the end, you might even need to drill a few new holes for additional stitches.

Addtional questions on the NE Dory build

Might as well keep asking addtional questions?  Threading the copper wire through the panels is a cinch but trying to thread the wire through the bulkhead and then make a 90 degree and thread into the panel on both sides is a pain. There must be a trick or simpler way!   

Yep. That was a pain. 

And, nope. I didn't discover an easier way. I had to make some rather convoluted bends in the copper wire and then keep twisting and tugging until I got it to work its way through.

Don't let the wire kink! (Though that did happen to me once and now the kink is buried in an epoxy fillet.)

I had the same exact issue. We went through and tightened up the stitching around the whole boat. The transom just took a lot of adjusting, over and over again until it lined up. No easy answer here I'm afraid. I even took mine off completely and redid it. You just have to keep fussing with it once you tighten wires.

With sticking the wires through I started from the inside and went out, honestly it's just a pain in the ass.

Yea, my bad, for some reason I got it my head you were talking about the transom. We had the same issue with the bulkheads like your saying, we just kind of forced it and pulled them tight with the wires.

So after trying to get the first panel-to-bulkhead-to-deck joint tight by simply tightening up the wire I decided to drive a 3/4" copper nail which as you can see from the photos did the trick.  I know these areas will be filleted but nevertheless, perhaps I am anal, but i want as tight a joint as possible.  I have been on too many fiberglass boats which have had voids between the stingers or in the corners which eventually cracked.  I would be interested in any comments. 

Far niente.. great name! 

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.