Epoxy build up on skegs

Have been building a Kaholo from plans and am at the point of making the skegs. Anyone have any tips or techniques for making the epoxy edge build-up?  Would like to put them on the paddles that I'm making too.  Thanks. Greg

4 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Epoxy build up on skegs

Greg, when I did the skegs I laid them on the work bench on some wax paper  and mixed the epoxy thick like peanut butter only thicker and used a pop sickle stick to build it up around the edge. After it dried I  filed and sanded to smooth it out. I used the same process on the paddle. Wear gloves.  

JC

Thanks JC. A couple more questions. Did you taper the skeg edge (and paddle) a bit first before adding the thickened epoxy or did you leave the edge full thickness then taper the cured epoxy to the shape as shown on the plans?  I was thinking of experimenting on scrap by first routing a rabbet on each side to create a shelf for the epoxy.  That might be overkill.

Greg, I'm pretty sure on the skegs I filed and sanded the epoxy flush with the skeg. On the paddle I tapered the wood and epoxy together. I really don't think It matters which way you do it. As far as a rabbet ...well, your probably right on the overkill, mine has been on for three years and holding up well with my grandkids and Daughter In Law using and abusing it. Good luck.

JC 

Sounds good.  Three years is certainly a great track record with the epoxy edging. Thanks much JC.  Happy paddling.  Greg

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.