First attempt at using epoxy and cell-o-fill - not as easy as i thought!

Yesterday I finally got around to starting the build on my NE Dory, after some unexpected delays.  I wanted to start slow and only do a few pieces first, so that if i screwed up it would not be on all the assemblies.  I mixed the expoxy and cell-o-fill per instructions and found out that the consistency of the expoxy with filler changes pretty quickly after it is all mixed.  What i thougth was the right consistency turned out to be more like a very thick glue, which required a lot of dragging the epxoy with a chip brush over the surfaces to spread it.  I also covered all surfaces to be joined.  What happened was a lot of epoxy ozed out from between pieces even though i don't think i spread it too thick.  A few questions?  When mixing epoxy with filler, should i stop adding filler before i reach the desired consistency?  Should i not have coated the entire surface and rather left a inch or so around the edges to accomodate for the spreading of the expoxy when under pressure from the clamps?  Could my clamps be too tight?  I was using what is described as 'heavy duty' spring clamps from Home Depot.  Did i use too many clamps and therefore increased the pressure?  Too clean up the expoy that still managed to squeeze out and is now hard, particularly along the bottom edge where the drain cut outs are, would a dremel or file be the best bet to use?  Any other tips or suggestions would be very useful. 

9 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: First attempt at using epoxy and cell-o-fill - not as easy as i thought!

I like to use a serrated putty knife to spread the glue. It's less work and gives the excess glue a place to go when pressure is applied. You also end up with less waste. With a serrated knife you don't need to leave a clear edge.

Your clamps are fine. There's supposed to be some glue squeezed out, otherwise the joint is starved.The best way to clean up squeeze-out is before it cures. But if you've waited too long, a Dremel works well. Just wear a dust mask. A shinto rasp is also good.

Good idea, BTW, practicing with a small piece.

Have fun,

Laszlo

Laszlo, thanks for the quick response.  Is this what you had in mind as a tool to spread the epoxy?

Yup, exactly.

I use my Dremel with one of the high speed steel cutters to trim epoxy beads.  It makes shavings, not dust like a grinder.  I run it at low speed.  There are cylindrical and rounded ones like this:

It is really true that using an epoxy is not that easy as we think it would be. Me and my cousin's first experience was a little bit similar as yours when we used the epoxy for the first time. It's too lot of time for us to complete the work. We were facing some problems while spreading glue, since we were not having the proper knife to spread it. We took the help of my friend who was having the experience in this work and finally completed it successfully. He also suggested me a site which stated the important points while transporting boats.

I found this adhesive spreader at Home Depot for around $3 and it worked great.  Second attempt was much easier, now that I knew what to expect.  Thanks to all for your comments and suggestions.

I think my first mix was probably too thin and runny when I glued my hull panels ( Wood Duck 14) and I used the screw to table board over joint for compression - another lesson - don't let your plastic catch in the screws when screwing the compression board  - I have some wrinkles in the fiberglass reinforcement.  Been on hold two weeks travelling too much, and just decided over easter to proceed and not do - over.  The joints seem solid as can be, even though I may have been lite on the filler.

Oceanluvr,

That's a nice spreader, but be absolutely sure to thoroughly clean it down to bare metal every time *before* it hardens. Epoxy loves to stick to metal.

That's the advantage of the plastic spreader - hardened epoxy will pop right off when you flex it.

Glad things are working better for you.

Laszlo

Laszlo, thanks, once again. Yes i figured as much and am trying to clean up as i go.

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.