Peeler skiff bottom

Just about to flip my Peeler Skiff.  Has anybody used gelcoat rather than marine paint for the hull?

4 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Peeler skiff bottom

Kendall,

On my Peeler Skiff I used Interlux Brightsides, which if properly applied and then buffed with an automotive buffer and buffing compound, looks like gelcoat and is pretty close to being as hard.  I've had no noticeable wear in 2 years.  One-part polyurethanes are much easier to apply than spray-on gelcoat --- and much easier to do a good job with.

The real key to a good finish is the surface prep work.  A rough, unfair, surface will not lead to a smooth, shiny finish, no matter what kind of final coat you use.  I recommend following the tips in http://www.clcboats.com/shoptips/finishing-tips/painting_polyurethanes.html,.  They worked well for me.  People often ask me if the exterior of About Time was gel-coated.

Cheers,

Dick

Thanks Dick.  My research was leading me in the same direction but it is good to hear from other builder.   Kendall

Kendall,

If bottom abrasion is an issue, a layer of dynel fabric, set in epoxy resin, on the bottom will add considerable abrasion resistance over that which class cloth provides.

Unless you need antifouling paint on the bottom, losing a little paint where the UV light doesn't shine won't cause a problem as long as the fabric/epoxy layer is not breached.  The epoxy protects the wood, paint protects the epoxy from damage by UV light.

The Peeler Skiff is a fun boat.  Rugged, safe, and comfortable.

Cheers,

Dick

Kendall,

If bottom abrasion is an issue, a layer of dynel fabric, set in epoxy resin, on the bottom will add considerable abrasion resistance over that which class cloth provides.

Unless you need antifouling paint on the bottom, losing a little paint where the UV light doesn't shine won't cause a problem as long as the fabric/epoxy layer is not breached.  The epoxy protects the wood, paint protects the epoxy from damage by UV light.

The Peeler Skiff is a fun boat.  Rugged, safe, and comfortable.

Cheers,

Dick

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.