a way to stop epoxy from pooling in the bottom of my canoe?

I have been frustrated in kayaks past by the difficult of stopping the epoxy from pooling in the bottom of the kayak when glassing the interior. It occurs to me that for my Nymph-in-progress, I could drill a small hole in the bottom and allow the excess to drain. As there is both an inner and an outer stem, the hole should not be a structural or athestic problem.

Comments?

2 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: a way to stop epoxy from pooling in the bottom of my canoe?

If you have pooling epoxy, you're using too much.

Also, since epoxy is relatively viscous, that would have to be a large-ish hole for it to drain.

Best thing would be to use less epoxy (cheaper, too), but if that doesn't work out, you might try blotting the extra with paper towels.

Good luck,

Laszlo

RE: a way to stop epoxy from pooling in the bottom of my canoe?

i am not sure a single hole will help...my experience is that the epxoy pooling can be very localized....so you would have to make lots of holes along the centerline to accomplish your idea.

i have not had pooling as a problem in my last several builds (14 and counting)

my approach is a judicious use of a squeegee after you finish wetting out the cloth to 'scrape' the excess epoxy and take it off the surface.  (use a cheap plastic cup with a slit cut into the lip to clean the blade of the squeegee after each swipe).  i would also 'babysit' the boat a bit (e.g., come back 15 minutes after you are done with your last squeegee pass) to see if anything pooled and use the squeegee to pick that up.

my only other thought is that working in a temperature environment to ensure the epoxy kicks relatively fast will be better to prevent pooling though it does impact your working time.  

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.