Peeler skiff drain plug

ok, this is kind of a strange situation!  I'm finishing my second Peeler for someone else.  They will be storing the boat on its trailer, and the boat will be backed up on their driveway which is on a hill.  So, the bow will be pointing down hill.  I will install a proper plug in the transom for everyday purposes  but thinking about all the rain we get year round that will collect in the bow under the breathable cover.  Crazy to install another plug in the bow just aft of the bulkhead in the side?  Maybe reverse it so the plug will be inside at the chine?  Or just tell the customer to keep an eye on the water build up and get the water out after it rains?  My dad always said the less holes in a boat the better!!!

9 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Peeler skiff drain plug

How about just elevating the trailer tongue while parked? (tongue jack, brick, block, sawhorse, all work)

I'm not aware of a drain plug that is smooth outside and able to resist high speed water pressure and slamming. That's seacock (properly installed) and through-hull territory.

The Peeler Skiff on a Trailex UT-1200 trailer will weigh about 700 lbs.  If set up properly on the trailer the tongue should be light enough to just pick up and turn the whole thing around so the bow is facing uphill. That and removing a tire should make it a little harder for a thief too.

http://cumulus.aunt-mary.net/images/peeler/AboutTime.jpg   

Unless the buyer lives in the desert, I'd say keep it in a garage or other covered space!  

It's one thing to have a wooden kayak that can be inverted while in the open, another for an open vessel catching rain. Even with drain plugs, water will find a weak place.

For him to consider doing this, perhaps you aren't charging enough for the build! 

The photo link at my previously reply showw the location of the drainplug on my Peeler Skif.  The boat lives outside on its trailer, without a cover, all year (except in the winter).  I jack up the tongue of the trailer and the boat drains pretty well.  When I am preparing to launch, a large sponge takes care of the remaining water.  The entire interior of the boat is painted with Interlux Brightsides and has shown no ill effects.  I would be more careful of varnish.

Cheers,

Dick

If you're going to varnish the interior, thickened epoxy may not be the best choice because it will be cloudy compared to the areas of the boat which have fiberglass cloth and epoxy or just epoxy. Realistically you could grind out the bubbles and do nothing more and I don't think the strength of the boat would be compromised so thickening the epoxy won't add anything to a surface repair except make it more difficult to sand. 

Sorry, posted the above on the wrong forum. I'm sliding down in my old age but I still have a memory like, uh, er, one of those big grey animals. 

Thanks for all of the replies!  I went over to the ladies house where the boat will be kept and the driveway is not as steep as I remembered when I picked up the boat to bring to my shop.  Garage is not deep enough to store with the trailer, so I think the best thing is to just make a custom horse to lift up the bow so the drain plug will work in the transom as suggested by Nemochad.  Too much work to muscle the boat to turn her around on the incline and I would hate to see the boat get loose and run down the driveway!  Wing15601, yes, I figured that one out!  lol!  And Laszlo, thanks!  How many holes in that whale?

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.