Logo Decoration

I have read and re-read every post on Rice Paper logos.  I have a vinyl cutting machine so I can make stencils (and reverse stencils).  So I am considering making a stencil of the graphic then paint over the seal coat of epoxy prior to glassing.  Does this make sense and what type paint should I use?

11 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Logo Decoration

No, and you shouldn't :-)

Seriously, the paint will act as a contaminant and the glass will bubble up. Paint goes on top of epoxy, not the other way around. It's just like a PB&J - jelly on peanut butter works, peanut butter on jelly rolls up and falls off.

Rice paper works because it absorbs the epoxy, the same as glass cloth does.

Back away from the paint,

Laszlo

i used a vinyl logo and epoxied over it, sanded the edge smooth and a final coat of epoxy and it is smooth as can be.

We also used a vinyl cutter, but cut stencils from card stock. Do your glass, all fill coats, and final sanding. We have used a combination of acrylic paints and paint pens to decorate our boats. Then a light sand and varnish. Lazlo is correct, even water based stain will affect the amount of epoxy that is absorbed into the wood. So, only porous stuff under the glass, usually rice paper or cotton fabric. I will try to find the linkk to my dad's boat. Good luck JRC.

http://www.clcboats.com/forum/clcforum/thread/33220.ht

ml

That is what I love about this forum, everyone is very helpful.  I put my "seal coat" on tonight so it's time to make a decision.  I have figured out which rice paper to get, but also contemplating painting on top of the epoxy.  Hmmm.... I gues I have nothing but time. I know I will need to sand the seal coat... My wife seems to think it is more important to take her to a resort for her birthday this weekend than it is to work on the kayak.  Sheez.  I guess she is right, especially if I want to build #2 and #3 of the fleet...

Rice paper arrived from Amazon.  Trimmed it down to slightly less than 8.5x11 and taped it to a regular piece of paper.   Printed the graphic on the rice paper and trimmed it.  Print was perfect.  Then applied fresh epoxy to the wood (thin coat) and placed the graphic on.  As it soaked up the epoxy everything that what white just disappeared, it was magical.   I am super happy with the result, anxious to see the final after it cures.

Lets see a photo! Unless you're saving this for later. I also used rice paper as the substrate for a graphic and it worked well. The only constraint I ran into was size -- I'd have prefered that the graphic run more of the boat's length. Next time, I may experiment with printing the graphic into sections, and marrying them up during application.

There is a picture on my blog. This is just the experiment I did on scrap.  Super happy with the result.  I agree with your comment about size limitation.  http://channelingnoah.blogspot.com/2016/01/31-graphics-logos.html

third try:

http://clcboats.com/forum/clcforum/thread/13047.html

Nice design - love it. Looks forward to seeing the finished product.

Well the real logo went on without a hitch.  My wife was brought to tears when she got home from work.  This is very special to us. This picture was taken right after it went on, I have since made certain that all of the edges are secure and I sqeegied the entire area.  Even "milkiness" has disappeard now.   Logo on Wood Duck Bow

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.