New Teardrop Traile

I look forward to seeing how JohnI had been recently sketching up teardrops myself but mine weren't anywhere near as pretty as these. I now have a commercial 5x8' one which became available for a very good price so I decided to forego the design, fabrication, and sanding for the time being. Using the trailer has reinforced in my mind some needs these trailers have, many of which are common to small boat cabins e.g. Ventilation and Repose. Condensation is a problem in any small enclosed space which also includes mammals, and the ability to have airflow over ones body is paramount to comfort in most regions of the country. Vents and screens to keep the bugs out will be needed. A vent in the roof and screened windows on the doors might suffice, especially if backed up with a small electric exhaust fan. Remember, those vents have to be able to be open in the rain as well. One of the features most small boat interiors lack is a place to actually sit comfortably. Most hulls are cut back at the sheerline, leaving your head above deck and your torso below. The Peep Hen and other flush deck designs (Microship?) allow one to sit athwartship comfortably. My slab sided teardrop (New Wave) has no area with a proper angle of repose. The stern is cut back leaving no room for the head to recline, the sides are vertical and the bow is too low. It is hard to work that angle into the sides but the stern could be raised to allow a reclining body to read a book. I look forward to seeing how John develops this design.

29 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: New Teardrop Traile

I'm fascinated by the idea of a hatch that doesn't leak. Can that technology be retro-fitted to boats?

>>>>Condensation is a problem in any small enclosed space which also includes mammals, and the ability to have airflow over ones body is paramount to comfort in most regions of the country. Vents and screens to keep the bugs out will be needed. A vent in the roof and screened windows on the doors might suffice, especially if backed up with a small electric exhaust fan. Remember, those vents have to be able to be open in the rain as well.
>>>>

Quite right.  We've spent a lot of time sorting out ventilation, and there'll be 12-volt fans, since I'm one of those odd people who can't sleep without a fan running by the bed. (Laszlo, I've already heard all the jokes about "sleeping with your fans.")

We'll apply a nice insulated liner to the interior to prevent condensation.  I've been soaked by condensation in WAY too many small cruising boats.

Build your own teardrop trailer

Ed is 6'3" tall:

Build your own teardrop trailer

CLC Teardrop Project

I've already got the MINI Cooper and trailer.  How about a catamaran to mount it on for cruising.

Cheers,

Dick

Now I know where the start of my last sentence went. Tablet life.

Is Ed leaning against the sides? The trick would be to have him be able to lean back, with his back on the sides (maybe a thin cushion) and his head able to just nestle back. My vertical sides require a sleeping bag under the lumbar for relaxing.

RE: New Teardrop Trailer

There isn't a "seatback," no.  You'd have to arrange your pillows and dunnage to create a lounging nest.  Heck, there's room for a beanbag in there.

PocketShip's interior was arranged specifically to create comfortable athwartships seating just as you describe:

PocketShip Pocket Cruiser

In boats and in RVs the lifestyle expans outside of the cabin. There needs to be some sort of canopy that allows for shade and rain protection at the door and the rear hatch. Cooking at the rear  hatch in the rain would be possible but you'll not like it.  Unless it extends like a one piece  tailgate on a station wagon. Getting in and out in the rain without getting the bedding wet is a challenge in a small tent and/or mini trailer.  That is why canopies on RVs extend out from the right lane, side of the road. Then the door and outdoor kitchen if so blessed are on the same side under the same canopy.

For ventilation think cross vent. Note tents these days with doors on both sides and rain flys. Windows could have rain shields. Like cars. Just make the window open up and down like a school bus.

RE: New Teardrop Trailer - Pocketship Interior

That's sort of interior is exactly what you need, but it needn't be that large. I think two, human back-sized reclining facets could be created somewhere in there. On outside living and ventilation, I agree completely. I've seen awnings that slip into tubes that follow the teardrop shape. They are extended with a long flexible wand and look like wings. They would keep rain from entering in most conditions, I imagine, but have no direct experience. I will be affixing a regular parabolic tarp to my roof racks. You can go crazy with ideas for storage for all the camping accoutrement. It's the difference between cruising and camp cruising; one needs bring coolers and mats and chairs and little tables and rain covers. We think Appalachian Trail through-hiker but we end up looking like the Joads.

John,

You likely  know this, but these are real popular on RV's.    The housing covers the open vent so you can leave the vent wide open even in the rain....high blade count in the fan and the whisper motor are quiet and efficient too,,,just a thought, and a kayak on each side of thee vent sitting on Malone Sea Wings would still fit

"Fantastic Vent"

Also, on Facebook there is a group called Tin Can Tourists..lots of great ideas on there...I saw lots of ideas for awnings on there, for example

Forgot to mention....this trailer idea and design is GREAT...I bet you will sell a LOT of these!    

Other than a bit more streamlining (very important to a paddler, likely unnoticeable to a driver), what is the upside compared to a much simpler (and somewhat roomier) teardrop trailer with vertical sides?

Assuming you mean the sides literally as in the right and left I would think the slight outward bow they have gives some rigidity to the panels versus just flat panels.  Also, depending on how much they bow out, some extra room inside.

If you are refering to the curved shape (givng the style it's name) on the front, top and rear then yes, streamlining is important.  Having towed boats with a small car from points between Annapolis and New England I will tell you that reducing drag on your load significantly increases the mileage.  Small 4 cylinder engines seem to feel the effects much more than thier larger cousins.  Throw in a gusty head wind and you can really feel it.

It's definitely not the case that curvature adds extra room.  For any given dimensions, right angles give the most room.

While I agree that a curved plywood structure would be stiffer for less plywood thickness, again this weight difference is an issue that would be very noticeable in a human-powered boat, and almost certainly negligible to a motorist.  Ditto for streamlining (not as compared to a rectangle, mind you, but a vertical-sided teardrop outline). 

So, focusing on the left straight sides the structure needs to be stiff to handle the wind loads and other loads the trailer will experience on the road.  You can add rigidity to the structure by using internal frames and covering them with a skin like you see on most commercial RV's.  Or, you can add rigidity by taking advantage of the hull form like you see on S&G boats.  Since CLC's roots are S&G it makes sense they went this direction.  It is lighter and it will make a difference for the class of vehicle the target market drives.

When you start going up and down mountain roads in a small car not rated for towing more than 1,000 lbs (if that much) every pound counts.  Especially when braking or taking tight turns on a short wheel base car.

I will partially concede the extra room except for the angle adds the extra room at shoulder level where you need it rather than at head level when sitting up inside where you don't need it.  This reduces frontal area, thus drag.  Looking at your car you see it is wider at shoulder level than near the roof.

All this is my supposition.  I'm sure John can difinitely answer why he chose this design.

Whatever you do don't overload the suspension of the trailer with the weight of the structure or the gear.    

The shell design was about 60% based on frameless stitch-and-glue construction (the various "chines" add stiffness without adding weight).  30% of it was streamlining, as this design is meant to work even with very small cars, and every little bit counts there.  And about 10% was for style points...

Chesapeake Light Craft Teardrop Trailer Kit

View the teardrop construction gallery.

Fair enough, thanks!

Will a Class 1 hitch on a 2013 Honda Fit tow this this thing?

What about eliminating the galley and putting an openining in that bulkhead? Then add screens to the sides of the "hatch back". In fair weather you would be able to open that and have an incredible amount of air flow.  The deck in the galley area could be used for storage and be accessible from inside the cabin.

" Will a Class 1 hitch on a 2013 Honda Fit tow this this thing?"

If I were CLC I wouldn't answer that question.   What he will need to answer at some point is the "empty weight" , "gross weight" and dimensions. Basically the weights convert to whether your vehicle has the towing capacity(operators manual) and class hitch requirements for the trailer.  Individual towing capacities vary with the many models of small car.  It is designed to be towed behind a small car. 

Note stopping is part of "towing capacity" and  often more important than moving a trailer.

Streamlining is important with small cars. We've noticed fuel consumption differences between  kayak racks installed, kayaks and "slick" configurations.    

Grumpy, the prototype is shown being towed by a Fit to Colorado. The only hitch I could find for sale for mine is a class 1. Hence the question, and maybe I just answered it. :-)

Can't wait to build one of these. Would carrying an Annapolis Wherry Tandem on top be feasible? If so, I may never go home again!

can't wait for this kit to come out. Wondering if it will be available as plans. In response to the seating problem,Harry Bryan had an elegant solution in the November/December 2013 issue of Wooden Boat (#235), pages 68-69 . The canvas backrest would fit well in a teadrop and would stow away pretty easily. May even double as an awning. Would likely have to place a reinforcing block in the ceiling somwhere. Never used one, so I don't know how comfortable they are.

It seems to me the cabin is plenty big even for me (6') & a little overweight and my wife -not so tall and also not thin. The only change I would like to see is about 2' longer to acheive a more usable galley. There's no room for water storage, groceries, cooler or even a coffee pot. Just make the one they have and a long version as well. I guess the galley items can be carried in the car but really - the galley is just a little too minimalistic. Will I buy one? yeah probably because it would be easy, fast and cheap to get on the road since I already have the HF trailer. Does anyone else think a larger galley might be advantagous? I do hope they get these kits ready soon.

>>The only change I would like to see is about 2' longer to acheive a more usable galley. There's no room for water storage, groceries, cooler or even a coffee pot. >>

We studied dozens of teardrop trailers and our galley is the same size or larger than other teardrops with a similar footprint.  For that matter, the teardrop's galley is bigger than the galley in my 27-foot cruising sailboat, which is set up to seat, sleep, and feed four adults.  

CLC Teardrop Camper

The food prep area measures five feet by two feet.  How much space do you really need to cook for two?  I note that the whole galley section, which measures about 36" x 65", may be configured however the builder likes;  the cabinet module shown here is just one option.

As for liquids, there's room for a 48-quart cooler in the locking storage box mounted on the trailer tongue:

CLC Teardrop Camper Kit

Now and forever, if your frame of reference is this:

Then yes, a teardrop camper is roughing it.

But if your frame of reference is this:

Then a teardrop camper is a gigantic leap in comfort.  That's the only context in which a teardrop makes any sense.  We're not trying to talk anybody out of an Airstream and into a teardrop.

CLC Teardrop Camper Kit

I didn't mean to offend or run off customers John. In fact I really love the design and it is the perfect design to pull behind my Fiat. I totally get the concept, I just hadn't adjusted my thinking  too far past the big teardrop shape yet. After some more thought on this design, I know it will work for us just fine and I can't wait to get mine built ASAP. I will be sending you my down pymnt next week.    I already have some ideas in mind to personalize it. Thanks for the great design.

John H,

I have an acquaintance, Tom Dempsey, who does very cool things with tiny trailers that he designs and builds. There may be a way for the two of you to enhance each others business/products.  Here is a link to one of his websites.  If your curiosity is piqued, but you don't find a way to contact him through the link, let me know and I'll get you in touch.  I'm going to make him aware of CLC and this camper as well.

Hooper Williams - Brevard, NC

http://www.sylvansport.com/

"I've already got the MINI Cooper and trailer.  How about a catamaran to mount it on for cruising.

Cheers,

Dick"

This is an old Cat I built using leftover skins from my trimaran project.  I wanted a bubble to store all the junk one takes on major cross country moves, and it also works as a teardrop, or a cabin.  Windows and a hatch were part of the plan but it works so well as a bubble I have not taken any action on the other uses.

[img]https://c2.staticflickr.com/8/7427/27050386183_0bb602728a_z.jpg[/img]

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.